Huge emergency! New Setup Overstocked and not Cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AndrewsPistol said:
I actually had some major worries about that lobster considering he is almost 5 inches long! He doesnt really come out of his "house" much, and everytime he does, when he goes back in, he pulls a plant up to the hole like he is closing the door lol

That is too cute. They really are fun. However, make sure there are no gaps big enough for him to climb out of in your lid. That's how I lost my crayfish. He took a walk.

AndrewsPistol said:
No, I am struggling with how I do this! I think I will syphon the water out a window, then I will have to go back and forth with a jug with the fresh water.

You poor thing!!! You can buy a 5 gallon bucket. Make your husband do all the water changes, since all this is his fault!!!! LMAO

AndrewsPistol said:
No, I am struggling with how I do this! I think I will syphon the water out a window, then I will have to go back and forth with a jug with the fresh water.

Just make sure to put the dechlorinator in each jug and stir it up well before pouring it in. And unplug your heaters and hob's and let it sit about 30 mins before plugging the hob back up. Just incase some chlorine doesn't get neutralized and kills your bb!! And make sure its the same temperature.

OH man, I'm so sorry your fish experience has been so stressful, but mine was almost the same. Just remember to breathe. Like a lot of other people said, go get yourself some Prime. It will make a big difference to your fishies.

Also know that your master test kit reads total ammonia levels rather than free amonia, if you're using prime or ammo lock it will detoxify the ammonia but it will still show up on your test kit. Seachem makes an ammo monitor called AmmoniaAlert that you can stick inside your tank and it will only read the free (toxic) ammonia levels. That really helped me not stress out so much with my tank when it was cycling. If you're using Prime or ammo lock just remember when you test your ammonia levels with the master test kit that some of that ammonia has been detoxified and try not to freak out. That doesn't mean you can skip out on water changes, but it does mean it isn't always as bad as it looks.

If you ask at your local pet store they will probably give you one of their filters, Petsmart gave me one once when I was in a bind. Or you can ask anyone you know with a fish tank to give you some of their filter or gravel to help start your tank.

I agree that your filter is going to be insufficient with time, but right now while your fish are still small you should be okay. Just know that as your fish grow you're going to need to up your filtration levels to keep up. Right now, I would focus on getting the tank cycled and worry about a better filter in a couple of weeks, that's just my two cents though.

For now keep up on your water changes, look for signs of distress in your fish, and stay calm. It will be okay.

Just make sure to put the dechlorinator in each jug and stir it up well before pouring it in. And unplug your heaters and hob's and let it sit about 30 mins before plugging the hob back up. Just incase some chlorine doesn't get neutralized and kills your bb!!
I hope I can even find a decent dechlorinator! I used what came with kit when setting up the 55, I do live quite far from anything and most of the time when I get to places they are all sold out of what I need :( Im worried now because the 20g needs a water change and I have no dechlorinator, I do have a sample of api quick start but that probably isnt enough is it?

AndrewsPistol said:
I hope I can even find a decent dechlorinator! I used what came with kit when setting up the 55, I do live quite far from anything and most of the time when I get to places they are all sold out of what I need :( Im worried now because the 20g needs a water change and I have no dechlorinator, I do have a sample of api quick start but that probably isnt enough is it?

You can order prime. It probably isn't enough. Have you put some in the 55?

AndrewsPistol said:

Do you know anyone else that has a tank? If you do just borrow some

How far are you from Walmart or target? They carry stuff called start right. Its almost the same as prime.

Just make sure to put the dechlorinator in each jug and stir it up well before pouring it in. And unplug your heaters and hob's and let it sit about 30 mins before plugging the hob back up. Just incase some chlorine doesn't get neutralized and kills your bb!! And make sure its the same temperature.

This really isn't necessary. I do water changes all the time with the filters still running and fill straight from the tap with a Python and a dose of Prime sufficient for the total volume of the tank. Tap water doesn't kill all the bacteria in your tank on contact. Trust me, I knock out 40 or so water changes at a time with this method.

If you want to dose the dechlorinator bucket by bucket, you certainly can. You don't need to wait before you can use the dechlorinated water in the tank.

severum mama said:
This really isn't necessary. I do water changes all the time with the filters still running and fill straight from the tap with a Python and a dose of Prime sufficient for the total volume of the tank. Tap water doesn't kill all the bacteria in your tank on contact. Trust me, I knock out 40 or so water changes at a time with this method.

If you want to dose the dechlorinator bucket by bucket, you certainly can. You don't need to wait before you can use the dechlorinated water in the tank.

Ok. I was just always told to unplug them. Thanx

Amazon.com for the Prime and the Python (I have an Aqueon water changer even for my 36 gallon). You will be so much happier. But be near a sink that has a threaded faucet ;)

Water change water change water change... Then go to the fish store when you get a chance and give them a tiny bite in the butt for doing what they did ... ... ... Chiclids are not really for beginners IMHO. They are beautiful but I have 4 tanks now and the only Cichlid I have is an Angel Fish.

And I have been there and done that too - I just didn't know any better. And I got my first purchased tank from an independent who had been in business for 17 years. ((sigh)) I just finished a fishless cycle of a 72 gallon and I'm crazy nervous about putting 2 of my fish in from my 36 gallon - I plan to do it tonight..........

Yes - you will grow attached to them quickly which is why there is fear for them.

Oh and I had to buy an attachment from my hardware store (Ace) for the threads on the faucet too for the water changer. There is always something with fish tanks that will keep you hopping.

Ok, sorry to leave ya'll hangin! I jumped in my car and cruised down to the "discount variety store" here in my town, which actually doesnt do very good at discounts, and to my surprise they had SOME fish stuff! So I bought an arsenal of things that say anything about removing toxins from water. I dont know what I need out of all this, any input is appreciated! Oh, I also got a ammonia detector for the 20 gal and its reading caution so Im gonna get my kids and my husband fed and then Im gonna get crackin on a water change. Also will be transferring the Oscar and the Pleco into the 55 gal, which is a little cloudy?! Not sure why?!

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 52
My distributor (I'm a retailer of dog & cat supplies) says great things about the Nutrafin cycle. He sold me a bottle so I have a bottle of it here but did not use it to cycle my tank that just finished its cycle. I just did it by the book.

But I think in a pinch when you already have fish, it would be a great choice for bene bacteria!

Janelle

AndrewsPistol said:
Ok, sorry to leave ya'll hangin! I jumped in my car and cruised down to the "discount variety store" here in my town, which actually doesnt do very good at discounts, and to my surprise they had SOME fish stuff! So I bought an arsenal of things that say anything about removing toxins from water. I dont know what I need out of all this, any input is appreciated! Oh, I also got a ammonia detector for the 20 gal and its reading caution so Im gonna get my kids and my husband fed and then Im gonna get crackin on a water change. Also will be transferring the Oscar and the Pleco into the 55 gal, which is a little cloudy?! Not sure why?!

You don't need the ph stuff, they can adjust better than having you add stuff to it all the time. And all you really need is the one that treats chlorine.

Here is a pic of the 20 and 55 any guesses on why the big one is cloudy? Been running for 2 days... it was kind of all of a sudden :( My fish are also as bright and colorful as they have ever been... is that a sign of stress?

Attachments

• 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 57
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom