Huge emergency! New Setup Overstocked and not Cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful dogs
Thank you! Spoiled rotten too. I have many animals, I just love them! Fish are by far the hardest ones yet! I have the 2 Staffies, a very small painted turtle, a lionhead bunny, a guinea pig, a betta and sea monkeys. My betta is about 3 years old and a very tough old man! I almost thought of using him to cycle but I didnt think that the fish would last in the 20 gallon till that was complete, and now that the heater is toast thats not even an option.

I put my DW in a 5 gallon pail in the yard & filled with boiling water, and let it sit. Dumped & replaced every 2-3 days until clear.

Slade said:
I put my DW in a 5 gallon pail in the yard & filled with boiling water, and let it sit. Dumped & replaced every 2-3 days until clear.

What brand was ur dw? Mine came out of the reptile section so I'm hesitant :/

Ok so here are my parameters

Ph 7.6 may be higher? didnt test for high ph just went for the standard
Ammonia .25
Nitrate 0
Nitrate 0

Does this sound correct? Maybe I messed up somewhere? Do I do a water change? or just wait? I was gonna do one earlier but I went to the post office and stopped at the hardware for a syphon was planning on doing it when I came back...

Hmmm not sure, came as a kit! Brand on the box reads Top Fin.

I haven't gotten a Top Fin kit, but I'm sure their filters aren't too popular. In the future you may want to get a Bio-wheel or AquaClear filter because those are top quality! Of course you can still get by with that Top Fin filter, but investing in one of these in the future will be good because they can hold up good bacteria for fish such as Nitrates.

I definately plan to, but right now that will have to do. I have spent a TON of money within this last week to try and give these fish the best chance because I do love them! However they are breaking me lol!

I personally favor the Bio-Wheel filters, but may purchase an AquaClear next month for my 55 gallon; I hear they're quite good and is equal greatness towards the Marineland bio-wheel. :)

If you ever invest into some plants, I hear canister filters are pretty good for those. But I myself haven't practiced it because I've only been into fish for 2 months and had not the time to purchase that one yet. Someday my home will be full of large, beautiful tanks..

I definately plan to, but right now that will have to do. I have spent a TON of money within this last week to try and give these fish the best chance because I do love them! However they are breaking me lol!

You and I are in the same boat.. I'm a college student with only a weekend job. So money.. is hardly in my bank. = ^ ^ =

Can hardly keep 300$ anymore. T_T after my 55 gallon is set up.. I will have no more room for tanks; so I'l be good for a while. (y)

dotswithchemicals said:
I personally favor the Bio-Wheel filters, but may purchase an AquaClear next month for my 55 gallon; I hear they're quite good and is equal greatness towards the Marineland bio-wheel. :)

If you ever invest into some plants, I hear canister filters are pretty good for those. But I myself haven't practiced it because I've only been into fish for 2 months and had not the time to purchase that one yet. Someday my home will be full of large, beautiful tanks..

I do plan on doing plants :) I have planted 7 bulbs in the tank, not sure if they will make it thru the cycle... I sure hope so! When I make it to the city I plan on picking up as many plants as I can afford, all my reading says they will help with the ammonia during my cycle :) I almost purchased a marineland kit but a 37 gallon was almost twice what I paid for the 55 gallon kit. Right now I am wishing I was rich!

dotswithchemicals said:
You and I are in the same boat.. I'm a college student with only a weekend job. So money.. is hardly in my bank. = ^ ^ =

Can hardly keep 300$ anymore. T_T after my 55 gallon is set up.. I will have no more room for tanks; so I'l be good for a while. (y)

I hear ya! I'm a stay at home mom for the moment, the place I worked at for 12 years picked up and moved to Arizona. I have to admit that I am happy to not have a job at the moment since this tank needs so much attention!

I bet my husband is wishing he did some research before nose diving into this lol, he means well but this is breaking HIS bank lmao

Mm, I have the exact kit as you almost got for sale at my local Petco. I'm short and its waaaay too tall.. gotta stick my whole arm into it to reach the bottom. I certainly perfer longer tanks to tall. But thats good you didn't get it because not much plants can grow under an LED light, which I'm sure that's what you almost got.

For my plants.. I have a plant light from Petco which has bought out their beautiful color! But they aren't exactly growing.. I hear co2 is good to use but some people don't like to put chemicals in their tank; so I'm debating on what I should do because plants will grow wonderfully with co2. I suppose you just gotta know what you're doing so you don't harm your fish with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom