I need some convincing...am I cycled??(I think so)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCFatz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The facts:

The tank has been up for 2.5 weeks....tap water.

I added 70 pounds of rock that needed curing,but was die off free.Chalk white and thoughly cleaned.

Also about three pounds of completely cured rock was added too.

I added one small clown after about a week (I know I know.... not how its usually done)...but its one 3 inch fish in 90g so water quality issues were not a major concern (tested too of course).

Now for what has happened:
One day after the fish was added,the ammonia tested at .25...I ran a control sample and compared the two and it was definate.A solid .25.

I thought that was odd as the fish had only eaten once and it was just that was just one day before the spike.....(first ever positive).

It tested like that for two days...then zero.Another control sample and its a solid zero...no doubt.

Also zero nitrites and nitrates....nada...not a hint of either.....

About the time the ammonia dropped the tank started to brown up.....easy to clean brown algea.Diatoms I'm almost certain (seen this in FW too).The one thing that is is very different is it gets much worse during the day when the lights are on.In the morning,after the lights have been off all night,it looks much better but its still there.

Is this because the lights are much stronger then my FW tank?
Am I cycled in anyones opinion?

Keep in mind I did nothing to get the ammonia down...its just gone....but I can't find a coverted version of it either.

Did you add anything to start the cycle? People usually throw in a (dead of course) shrimp as an NH3 source. Die offs from LR won't provide enough NH3 to start an appropriate cycle.

added 70 pounds of rock that needed curing,but was die off free.Chalk white and thoughly cleaned.

70 pounds of LR or base rock? What did you clean it with? If you cleaned it with FW... and the rock is LR... you probably turned it into base rock XD

I believe in order for the tank to be fully cycled, you would have gone through a nitrite spike as well. The nitrifying bacteria in the tank converts ammonia and nitrite into nitrates, which at one point I think most people see a nitrite spike somewhere in the middle of their cycle. It could have been possible that your tank cycled and you did not test for nitrites and missed it. If the levels can remain at a constant 0 (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) with fish present I believe you should be ok. The tank I have now did not have to cycle because it was cycled when my friend gave it to me, but the original tank I had cycled, going through ammonia and nitrite spikes until it was done. Others may be a little bit more informative. HTH

Base is a better way to put it I imagine...although It had been used before ....long before....I looked more like base (and should have acted like base) more then any other catagory of rock.

No additional ammonia source was added...just the one small clown.

I dont believe it has cycled. I `m not seeing the spikes that should happen. I would QT the clown and then follow directions for a fishless cycle located above in the articles.

melosu58,

Thanks for the reply.....any thoughts on the disappearing ammonia (it was there I assure you) and the diatoms,which usually appear at or near the end of the cycle?

It may seem I'm pressing the fact its done,but thats not the case...but an explantion from experienced aquarist will go a long way in the ol' knowledge quest.

I don't think ur tank is properly cycled. The NH3 u saw probably from the clown and since it's the only fish in the large tank, some of the bacteria on your new LR took care of it quickly. I would do as melosu advised if I were you or you'll get a spike everytime you add a new fish.

Btw. Not many fish will make it through small or even tiny spikes, you were lucky clowns are exceptional hardy.

I added 70 pounds of rock that needed curing,but was die off free.Chalk white and thoughly cleaned.

Was this dry rock? Or did it come from a store or what? If this was dried rock, you have not even begun a good cycle yet. If this was established rock, that would be the reason you are not seeing spikes. No REAL ammonia source and cured rock would prevent you from seeing spikes in ammonia and nitrite. The answer to this will clear up the confusion.

Back
Top Bottom