In Need of Advice on Stocking a 55G Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I decided to go for a Cichlid tank with the 55 and am very excited about it but I need help building a stock list. The tank is up and ready but I want to get all of my research done before just throwing a bunch of random fish in.
Ok down to business, currently I have two Albino Red Zebras and another fish that still has to be identified (picture on another thread).
I know that a 55 doesn't give me allot of options with Africans but I know I can fit a couple in there.
I'm really loving a few of the Labidochromis such as the Caeruleus, Chisumulae, Hongi and the Textilis.
I'm open to suggestions but within reason, I don't want to build a list of fish that I would have to order from across the world so more commonly traded fish suggestions would be wonderful :)
Thanks so much in advance!

Without knowing what's available to you locally I'm not due we could help here, we could all recommend dozens of mbuna. I would honesty look to see what's available to you and let us know so we can help build stock list around that.

Thanks for replying HUKIT. I called my lfs today and was told that they didn't have a specific list that they stock and can order me pretty much anything that I want. I really like the Electric Yellow Labs and would kind of like to build a stock around a group of them so I guess maybe I should stick with the species that are more on the peaceful side

What about the the classic yellow and blue, one of my favorites? Maybe 11-13 Pseudotropheus demasoni along with the 6-7 Caeruleus. Or I would start looking at potentially two other genus of fish to go along with the Labidochromis, there are some great additions in Pseudotropheus and Cynotilapia alone.

I'm liking the demasoni, I will have to for sure check into those. :)
Finding fish to add to my stock list is getting a little easier the more I research them but the harder part for me to grasp is stocking numbers. How does one know how many to add of each group before you reach the brink of overstocking? Is there a general rule of thumb with stocking in numbers?

A cookie cutter stock list a 55g is good for 3 genus of cichlids that consist of 5-7 fish stocked at 1m/5f which leaves you around 18 fish total. Now this has to be adjusted depending on which fish your looking at due to size and behavioral requirements.

Ok so I already have the two Red Albino Zebras, would I have to up their numbers if I'm just sticking with the Demasoni and Caeruleus ? I have what I believe to be a male and a female. Also, would it be possible to add a peacock without pushing the stock list? My lfs has a sunshine that I'm in love with.

Personally, I really enjoyed a combination of the electric yellows, Pseudotropheus socolofi, and an orange Pseudotropheus "tropheous rust". I would think that Pseudotropheus saulosi would work rather than the "tropheous rust as well. Personally, I've never been a fan of albino fish, but you could do P. socolofi and electric yellows with your albino reds. I would suggest upping the population of albino reds.

Thanks for the reply WY! I really like the Pseudotropheus saulosi, the color difference between the males and females are amazing. I will for sure have to add them to my list. Will they get along with the demasoni because I would like to have those as well

Back
Top Bottom