Injured cichlid journal: Abrasions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't observe any change in the wounds at the 48 hour mark. I decided to do a 50% water change and redose the Ultimate and Artemiss. I'll report back in the AM.

60 hours:

The over all circumference of the affected area seem to have decreased slightly again and the wounds are very close to being fully "scabbed" over. Swelling also remains down.

The fish is still eating voraciously and continues to keep the two smaller males on their toes.

Excellent news. Thanks to your diligence in keeping his environment healthy, he is slowly making a full recovery. This is good information for those who may experience a similar situation.

72 hours:
No change from the AM.

84 hours:
The wounds seems to have decreased in size again ever so slightly, they are still open but more of the area seems to closing up.

96 hours:
Added another dose of Artemiss and I am considering another 50% WC tomorrow. No changes to the affected area that I can see from this morning.

72 hours:
No change from the AM.

84 hours:
The wounds seems to have decreased in size again ever so slightly, they are still open but more of the area seems to closing up.

96 hours:
Added another dose of Artemiss and I am considering another 50% WC tomorrow. No changes to the affected area that I can see from this morning.

Good to hear the good news

Well he has seemed to digress the last couple of days and the wounds are looking almost as bad a they did at the start. I have no idea if he's fighting and opening then back up or what.

I also suspected a build up of nitrates in my system so I cleaned both filters, removed all the rocks and plants, vacuumed the sand and preformed a 75% water change. I'll follow up with another floss change out on the filters on Friday and do another 50% PWC.

Wednesday I did a huge water changes, pulled out all rocks, plants and wood. Vacuumed up all the detritus and cleaned out my filters then put everything back together.

Today his wounds look great a pale pink vs a bloody red. Which leads me to believe the was just to much organic waste in my system despite my large water changes.

I am going to do another 50% water change tonight and replace the filter floss again. I also added some Salvinia Cucullata to the tank which is a great nitrate suck, a quick grower and looks a heck of allot better than duckweed or frogbit.

All the Val I pulled out
img_2581291_0_42edf96af2497562294d36fef003f80f.jpg

My rescape, needs to grow back in
img_2581291_1_52cb371f821e6bdd8b3f818376ada492.jpg

Your rescape looks good. Is the salvinia cucullata on the right? I am glad to hear he's improving. It must be frustrating especially when it started to look worse.
That's a huge amount of healthy vallis you've harvested!

I had an Oscar with a similar disease but withing a month he was sorted so don't worry too much , ask your local shops 4 tetrafin heal , it helps

Your rescape looks good. Is the salvinia cucullata on the right? I am glad to hear he's improving. It must be frustrating especially when it started to look worse.
That's a huge amount of healthy vallis you've harvested!

Thanks man! The plant on the right is ludwigia repens x arcuata, very cool stem plant once it gets established and starts to branch out.

This is the cucullata, it has little brown roots and the leafs will actually cup under high light.
img_2581844_0_449e89af5c9a1749fd6b889fcfc41239.jpg

The wounds seem to be responding well to the large water changes and the double dose of stress coat.

I did another large water change then aded a double dose of stress coat and then dosed some Azithromycin.

Back
Top Bottom