is my 55 gallon overstocked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

talloulou

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here is what I currently have in my 55 gallon. Is it overstockerd or am I good? Do you see any problems as my fish age and grow? Any compatibility problems? The adonis and severum were the most recent additions and they also are the ones we expect to grow large so that's why we're curious if we are okay. From research it seems that rams and severums are pretty peaceful cichlids.

2 red sunset gourami
4 hatchetfish
4 black skirt tetra
1 adonis (about 2 1/2 in currently)
2 severum (currently about 2 in)
2 blue rams
3 black coolie loaches
3 platys
2 mystery snails
1 red claw crab
1 african dwarf frog

Am I good or do I need to change stuff around? I have a small 10 gallon that I can move some fish over too, if this is too crowded. The ten gallon currently has 3 cory cats. I was thinking I could move the black skirt tetras over to live with the cory cats.

I checked out the Live Aquaria Compatibility chart and it says that Caution should be used with your current stock. Mainly the Tetra's, Gourami's, and New World Cichlids.

i used to have 40++ neons in a 10gal tank .. and they seem living fine for almost 1 year +

When your fish become full size, it will be about 63 inches of fish (excluding the adonis). Besides compatibility issues, I'd say you are maxed out in the tank. I'm not exactly sure what the Adonis is, so I can't help you on that one.

Are you using a filtration unit that can filter up to at least a 75 gal tank?

If fishyfanatics calculations are correct (I would check myself but im really tired), I would say you are okay stocking wise.
in a 55gal you can be a *little* over the inch per fish rule.. but i wouldn't suggest adding anymore

My only suggestion would be to move the crab to the 10gal.. because if it can, it will try and eat your fish

The Severum is gonna get real big, 55gals won't cut it after a while as the severum grows pretty quick.

I keep a severum in a 55 gallon and I don't see that it will be a problem. They grow to about 10-12 inches, so I wouldn't keep any more than 1 grown severum in that tank. It's true that they grow fast, mine grew over 5 inches in a year. What I would be most concerned about is that, although personality varies from fish to fish, your sevs will probably be too aggressive to keep with blue rams and gouramis. There's no way I would try it with my severum, and I only have 1- if you end up with a male and female and they pair off, I would expect all hell to break loose in your tank.

I keep my severum with tiger barbs, a sailfin pleco, a firemouth, and a convict, and my severum rules the tank without question. I would watch for aggression for sure.

A gold severum came with my 29 gal, I gave it to a friend and he put it in his tank of cichlids, gouramis, plecos and a loach and they all are fine. It probably just depends on the individual's temperament. Although, I have seen it nip once at one of my friend's parrotfish. I would not keep severums with smaller fish.

Back
Top Bottom