Is my tank cycling properly?? Not sure about numbers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kherm89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there,
I posted a bit ago when my numbers we not changing and they finally have. However, I'm not sure if it's stalled or supposed to be where it is it. It's a 29 gallon planted tank (anubius, two java fern, two crypts, a few wisteria, and some hornwort) , sand bottom with substrate underneath for the plants. I've also been adding Flourish Excel, Iron, and the general one for plant nutrients. Temp around 85 degrees.My tap water is pH 7.6, 0 nitrate/nitrite, .5 Ammonia (but probably the other chemical that comes up as ammonia in tests, which I can't remember the name of).

Here are my cycling numbers:

Day 1
pH 8
Ammonia .5
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Day 4 (added fish food as ammonia source)

pH 8.4
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Day 5
pH 8.2
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Day 6
pH 7.4
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Day 7
pH 7.6
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Day 8
pH 8
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Day 9
pH 8
Ammonia .25
Nitrite .25
Nitrate 0

Day 10
*added water to top it of because a few inches evaporated; treated it once it was in the tank because I forgot*
pH 8
Ammonia .25
Nitrite 2 or 5
Nitrate 5

Day 11

pH 8.2
Ammonia .5
Nitrite 2-5
Nitrate 10

Day 13

pH 8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 2-5
Nitrate 20

My pH doesn't seem to be decreasing, and the nitrite isn't changing with the nitrate increasing. Is this right? I also just found a small snail in the tank so not sure if that would have an effect. What should I be seeing next... or is there something wrong with the numbers? I added a tiny bit of fish food tonight so the bacteria doesn't starve since there is no Ammonia left.

Thanks for any thoughts or opinions in advance!

K

IMO you should stop adding fish food.
It is very hard to regulate.
There is still ammonia in your tank IMO but the bacteria are converting it to nitrite,faster then the other bacteria can convert it to nitrate which is why you still have nitrite reading.

Sounds like your cycle is going very well for using food as an ammonia source.
Can you see any food on the bottom of the tank?

IMO you should stop adding fish food.
It is very hard to regulate.
There is still ammonia in your tank IMO but the bacteria are converting it to nitrite,faster then the other bacteria can convert it to nitrate which is why you still have nitrite reading.

Sounds like your cycle is going very well for using food as an ammonia source.
Can you see any food on the bottom of the tank?

I added a good pinch the first time I did it. I saw a flake at the bottom for about 4 days and then it disappeared. Right now I can't see any of the food I already added, which was a very small amount. I figured if the tank is cycling well then it should be able to get converted quickly, if not, then there will be some ammonia for the bacteria. Maybe not the best logic haha

Very glad to hear it seems to be doing well. :)

Back
Top Bottom