Is this normal pleco behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is this normal behavior for a pleco? This has been what she has been doing since I brought her home on Saturday. Right after I uploaded this video I actually saw her go into the substrate very briefly for 30 seconds to a minute and get on the driftwood. I was just under the impression they were not as active as this one is...it's like she has been drinking coffee all day....lol. I hope I upload the video correctly....sorry if I didn't, I am completely new to uploading movies...

Pleco Video

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok...now I feel silly....just after posting this video I have watched her go down into the plants and start eating algae. The anubia I had attached to the driftwood had algae all over it...it is now clean! LOL. Funny little critter. She must've known I was worried about her. ;)

Gosh, good to know, Anne! I seriously thought someone had been giving her some coffee beans or something. I have been very relieved to see her down in the substrate more grazing on algae on the plants and the driftwood. But, most of the time, like right now, she just zooms around the tank like she is on the Daytona speedway! LOL!

Some plecos sit and do nothing, but others have loads of personality and can make you think they got into a redbull.

I had one... He didnt want to do anything... just tried to hide... and then after 3 weeks he died. Still dont understand why. I like my ottos better. I have 4 now.. They work really hard, eating all the time...

Fish are crazy. I have three kuhlis that are a) supposed to be nocturnal and b) bottom dwellers. They eat during the day, and spend all night making circles against the tank glass. Woe to any Betta who happens to be in the way. The loaches will just run smack into anything in their way.

I swear they are blind.

Back
Top Bottom