jd wigglers! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bully405Customz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have about 100 Jack Dempsey wigglers on my sand in my planted tank and no parents. What do I do now? I have a tumbler I could use but how do I get them into the tumbler????

pics if u can and great job!!

i say just scoop with a net and try to keep the sand in the net while moving them to the tumbler to keep it sorta clean.
id use a normal breeder box or net, they have enough oxygen and they get better access to food in there xxx

You can siphon them out with an air line and move them into a growout tank as soon as they are free swimming. Congrats!

Right now they are just yolk sacs with tails. Lol soooo tiny. I used a siphon hose and put them in the tumbler. I'll have to Get a plastic breeder box tonight. Till then I just hope they will be okay.

HN1 said:
You can siphon them out with an air line and move them into a growout tank as soon as they are free swimming. Congrats!

That's what I did. And ill just let them grow out in the 50 gallon they are in. Its planted and only has some boesmani rainbows in it. I just have to get them to the free swimming stage. And thank you!

Why would you put them in a tumbler? If they are wiggling they will be fine till they start free swimming. JD fry are big enough to eat bbs or crushed flake straight away, I have some myself that are a few days old.

Oh the only reason I put them there was so I could keep them together. They aren't in one now. It doesn't even look like mine have mouths yet... they are just squirming little tails. And I thought for tthe first few days they ate off the rest of ttheir egg. Is that not right?

I thought so, just had to make sure. Yesterday they just had tails, today they have eyes. :) I'm taking a picture a day to see the progression. Its really cool. Do you think what I have them in now is okay? You can see it in the picture kinda but it's just a kritter keeper with an air stone in it. and its in front( but aacross the tank) from the filter output so hopefully water will circulate through it. Any suggestions you could give me? I've at fry before but never from this young.

Im pretty sure it is. Plus its only temporary until I go to my lfs to get a breeder box for them. Its a funny story how these fry came about. I got a pair of jds and put them in the tank, they did nothing but hide for 2 weeks. Well one of my buddies loved them and I never got to seem them so I sold them to him. The next day I went and got plants and went home to aquascape my tank. I pulled everything out, well when I was putting things back in I picked up this piece of slate and felt all the eggs. They Had tto of been out the the water for 45 min. But I put them back and 3 days later I came home to all these delightful babies on my sand and here we are today :) needless to say they have been through a lot already.

I'm going to raise them then sell most if not all. There's always a chance ill get attached to a few. Lol there is just so many of them

Back
Top Bottom