Joey's 60P Iwagumi!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jkeating8

Aquarium Advice Addict
Wow, so here's goes another thread.

For the last 9 months I've been attempting to complete a Dutch scape, but I'm getting tired of trimming a ton of stems all the time, so I'm switching to something less maintenance so I can focus on my reef. I don't have enough Aquasoil for the layout I want, so I'm going to save some money and get two bags of Fluval Shrimp Stratum to keep the AS look and add the needed height and sloping. I'm planning on keeping this very easy to maintain. I've selected only three species of plants that i think will lend themselves very well to the rock scape, and to keep the simplicity.

Specs-

Tank- Mr. Aqua 60P

Filter- Eheim 2215 w/ glass Lily Pipes

Heater- 150w

Light- AquaticLife Dual T5HO w/ two Giesemann Midday Bulbs.

Co2- UP Aqua Dual Gage Reg though PB tank, uncountable bubble count.

Substrate- ADA Aquasoil Amazonia + Fluval Shrimp Stratum

Ferts- EI

Hard scape- Petrified Wood

Plants:
Eleocharis sp. parvula
Hydrocotyle sp. japan
Utricularia Graminofolia
Elatine sp. Triandra

I'll be taking a trip to the LFS this weekend to get the stratum and the rocks. The plants are already in possession.

Current Tank Shot:
d2qtOKL.jpg

I got the UG from a fellow hobbyist. I find it very easy to grow once it acclimates to the specific tank.

I, too, will be following with great interest! Sounds like a fun and new journey :) Iwagumi! Let's see how long it takes Bill to check in here! I'm sure he'll have some great input (as will others) on such an intricate process :)

Me? I just toss the rocks in there after juggling them and let them fall where ever! :facepalm:

Do you have hard water? From what ive read it prefers soft water (i have a Gh of 12)

Hey guys,
I saw a video of a guy that knocks out his surface scum with H202. He puts pure H2O2 in a small spray bottle and keeps it in his stand. His tank was topless(about a 29g). He sprits the surface about 4 times fanning across the surface. I made one up and tried it. After about 1 hour the film was gone. With that small amount, my fish didn't seem to notice it. OS.

Hey guys,
I saw a video of a guy that knocks out his surface scum with H202. He puts pure H2O2 in a small spray bottle and keeps it in his stand. His tank was topless(about a 29g). He sprits the surface about 4 times fanning across the surface. I made one up and tried it. After about 1 hour the film was gone. With that small amount, my fish didn't seem to notice it. OS.

That's interesting. I'm gonna have to try that. Thanks for sharing that OS.

Hey guys,

I'm going to try it tonight.

OS, I tried it and it worked! All gone in the morning. Thanks for the tip!

Ok guys-

I'm going to the LFS this weekend to get my rocks. I'm hoping got some large rocks to really make an impact. I won't be able to get this rescaped for a little bit because I need to sell some plants so I can buy some more aquasoil. I was going to just use Fluval Stratum, but I believe they discontinued the product because I can't find it ANYWHERE. Oh well! Now I get to try out the "powder" version of AS for a much cleaner, more refined, look.

I found some Hydro sp. japan that I had growing emersed and threw it back into the tank. It will be used to accent the UG and HC.

Until next time- I apologize for the poor camera quality. For the new scape I'll play with my dad's Canon 70D.

8PgSM5s.jpg

You're very welcome jk,
I find my top scum occurs when I feed Omega One flakes. The NLS pellets don't seem to do it. But the fishys need the fish oils in the flakes so I deal with it.
The reds in your plants are awesome! I love them! OS.

Back
Top Bottom