Killifish King of Chicago - I started bidding on Killifish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

webmoose

Aquarium Advice Addict
I started bidding on Killifish eggs.. If I win the bid I will be needing more tanks....

someone take away my internet access.......

Mooose

Cape Lopez? I got some Aphy Orange Australe.. Hopefully I did my research right and they will hatch in 14 days from spawn.. Aphy's are suppose to be good starter killi's (i hope) Not the 3 months like your probably waiting Christian.. Or longer!!

If I have a good success with my 30 eggs I would love to trade you for a N. rachovii.. If I can figure out what that is.. :oops:

Mooose

webmoose said:
Cape Lopez? I got some Aphy Orange Australe..

Same thing....common name for Aphysemion australe is Cape Lopez Lyretail.

Hopefully I did my research right and they will hatch in 14 days from spawn.. Aphy's are suppose to be good starter killi's (i hope) Not the 3 months like your probably waiting Christian.. Or longer!!

I am just waiting cause I can....potentially, they can remain in diapause for 2-3 years without harm.

If I have a good success with my 30 eggs I would love to trade you for a N. rachovii.. If I can figure out what that is.. :oops:

Mooose

Great. Its one of these....

Attachments

• n._rachovii_marromeu_tz_99.jpg
    n._rachovii_marromeu_tz_99.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 240
Congrats Moose. I've never had killies and always wanted them. :D

what a fish toirtis, are those easy to find at stores 'cause thats the first time I've seen that fish? Any info on the web you could share?

Mazdaman said:
what a fish toirtis, are those easy to find at stores 'cause thats the first time I've seen that fish? Any info on the web you could share?

Not easy to find, but there are a number of killifish enthusiasts and breeders in the Edmonton club....I suspect that there will be at least a few bags of Aphysemion australe and Blue gularis (and possibly some other species) at the big Edmonton auction on May 15th.

Mazdaman said:
I've heard killis should be in a species only tank... Any truth?

More or less, although they can be kept with certain other fish (put not other killie species)...I often have small Corydoras sp. in with mine.

Hey Jchillin - I haven't recieved them yet. Hopefully they are in the mail.. :)

Toirtis if there is any hints / tips / trick you could pass on regarding the sucessfully hatching out let me know. I've been reading my guts out but nothing beats hands on knowledge.

Mooose

*Tries to picture the reading of one's guts out.... :? *

J/k, I know you are doing your research and I am excited for you - I have never kept killies either so I hope you will keep us posted. Gorgeous fish!

webmoose said:
Toirtis if there is any hints / tips / trick you could pass on regarding the sucessfully hatching out let me know. I've been reading my guts out but nothing beats hands on knowledge.

Mooose

Actually, its really quite easy and straightforward....in fact, so easy that back in the sixties, in response to "Sea Monkeys", Wham-O marketed their own version of instant aquatic pets, "Instant Fish", that featured a small plastic tank and some Notho eggs.

Attachments

• instantfish1.jpeg
    instantfish1.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 114
OMG!!!!!!! Your serious!

I am flipping out here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great if I don't have sucess with these I am going to loose my CAS card.

Mooose

Ok now that I've calmed down.. Can I store some of these eggs for a period of time? Do something like hatch out 15 and store 15?

Sorry for sounding silly with all these questions.. Just really excited.

Moooose

Back
Top Bottom