Looking for a new cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benwallage9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I am upgrading my 29 gallon aquarium to a 55 gallon. Before I do this I want to dot all my i's and cross my t's. This is going to be a planted tank my current fish include:

1 Angelfish
2 German Blue Rams
2 Cockatoo Cichlids
3 Polkadot Loaches
1 Rubberlip Pleco

I'm looking for a cichlid pair that can coexist with the fellow tank mates. All though I'm not looking to breed these fish, if it happens I would like to not have to worry about the safety of the others. The only thing that I can actually get the stock calculator on aqaadvisor to accept is the keyhole cichlid. Is that my only real option for the fish above that is a bigger cichlid (looking for a 5 inch fish give or take).

Also if I was to just do one cichlid not a pair what would you suggest.

Thanks for taking the time to read and any feedback is appreciated.

I would not mix GBRs, Cockatoos, and other SA dwarf cichlids, especially if you have breeding pairs. There could be a ton of fighting. GBRs also need temps in the low/mid 80s, while Cockatoos are mid/upper 70s fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't know if they are pairs, the cockatoos maybe, however the grbs seem to be both male based off what I have read. I haven't had any issues with them in the current tank the grbs stay mid level while the cockatoos troll the bottom. I have a lot of caves and plants which seem to help aggression issues. I plan to only increase this is a bigger tank. I originally wanted to get another pair of apisto's in a different subspecies however I've read it is highly not recommended. My tank runs at about 78 t o79 degrees.

Step one is to get more polkadot loaches. They are incredibly social and groups of 5 are the bare minimum for them to be happy. I promise, you'll notice a difference :)

Guianacara geayi are pretty sweet, read some articles but seems they are pretty new/rare so hasn't a ton of into. Luckily my lfs is currently has them (hopefully will later on when I'm ready). Any tips on spotting males and females?

We first got the polkadot loaches just to fend of any snails that we might get on plants (which they do really well). They have quickly turned into our favorites, they just always seem up to something and are really fun to watch. When adding other do I need to worry about aggression from the current three to the new two? Also will size difference matter? The current ones are about 3.5 inches give or take.

Wet Spot in portland? That's where I was looking, I've gotten all my fish from them. The inside of that place is crazy I spend like two hours just looking,

Nope, Jeff and Dan have them frequently as well as Wetspot. There are quite a few colonies around GCCA too.
Wet Spot in portland? That's where I was looking, I've gotten all my fish from them. The inside of that place is crazy I spend like two hours just looking.

Interesting, I know they used to be just like true geophysics surinamensis, where they were non-existent but always mislabeled

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom