Low-Tech 10g Planted Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Grats. I love their look. Too bad I'm too chicken to buy any fish more than 2 dollars unless it's a show piece. I'm always scared something will crash...*sigh

I wouldn't be afraid to buy ANYTHING off HN1 and severum. They QT their livestock for a month or more. I am completely satisfied with them!

Yes, the von rios are quite active little buggers. In a nice densely planted tank they stand out and look amazing. I'm sure your CPDs will be very nice too! :)

Yeah, Thanks :D. I'd like to give them a treat of something within there first few days. Any suggestions? I'll be researching as well.

I saw the galaxy rasboras (cpd's I guess) at the store today. 6$ each, or $4.50 if you buy 6+. Feel good!

pretty good lol. I heard that when getting shipped fish, you're supposed to use a different method than drip or float, although I can't remember. Any one ever used something different? I was thinking of using drip acclimation but I didn't know if that would work well or not, something about the ammonia and pH inside a closed back or something like that. The float and dump method I think it was. I read:
"As o2 is used up in transport the ph goes down in the bagged water. Ammonia is less toxic at lower ph the temp also goes down. if you drip water in that raises the ph starts to rise the ammonias toxicity's. Also the carbon dioxcide in the bag is an excellent fish anesthetic. Those are the reasons to get fish out of those bag as fast as possible."

But on that page I couldn't really make out a conclusion on which to use. What do you all think?

I drip acclimated my 10 I got a few months back. All 10 are alive and eating eagerly.

I disagree with that part about ammonia toxicity and pH level. Ammonia toxicity doesn't change with pH. Ammonia itself changes pH. You cannot have a low pH solution with a high concentration of ammonia in it, it's just not possible. If you pour [X] ammonia in [X] H-, you'll get a neutral solution, you won't get an acidic solution with ammonia in it.
Ammonia is "less toxic" at lower pH, because ammonia is basic and will neutralize the acids. Ammonia is "more toxic" at higher pH, because ammonia is basic and there's no acid to neutralize ammonia's basicity.

Did you order yours express or priority meegosh? and how long did it take?
Also, got some bad news, there seems to be some holes in my ludwigia :cry:.

Ludwigia is a strong plant. Don't worry. It'll rebound. HAVE FAITH! :D I retain a stem of ludwigia in my tank as a indicator for any type of deficiency I have. It grows fast and doesn't melt when something is awry.

Did you order yours express or priority meegosh? and how long did it take?
Also, got some bad news, there seems to be some holes in my ludwigia :cry:.

I just did priority. They shipped 5/3, I got them on 5/5.

Well I finally ordered some fish, 13 CPDs to be exact. There was a little trouble with paypal and I lost some money :\ but at least I could still buy some. 13 should be plenty anyway. Sm said she'll ship them Monday and they should be here by Wednesday. So excited :D :D :D

I don't think it was paypal. There must've been some fine print on the walmart card.. I've used debits and credit cards in the past with no charges.

This was an unforeseen problem ><

no, I think they charged a confirmation charge. It was before I purchased anything, and I didn't get it on my second purchase.

how much was it? usually, they'll put a hold on a card to verify that it exists, but its not an actual charge (debit cards make it appear as a charge, but the funds are released back in a few business days). My paypal account has never charged me anything, if selling something online, I always get the buyer to send as a gift as to not incur any charges

Back
Top Bottom