Mama Molly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I've also read about so many health concerns that go along with mollies as well which makes me nervous. I could go with just about anything right now to breed. I have all females: 2 mollies, 2 plattys, 2 swordtails. Lol. No guppies but I'm considering trying those out. I do like mollies. For whatever reason their "look" appeals to me. I think I'm gonna try getting a male molly and see what happens. Can you mix fry in a nursery between a couple different species?
Well then go for mollies, if they appeal to you. Be aware of your water quality, mollies, platies and swordtail's have hi bio-load, so keep a close eye on that....
Yes you can mix the fry, but if your putting newborn fry, in with fry that are say 2months old, be careful, the older fry can bully the newer fry.
PS... Remember molly fry will grow faster and bigger than guppy fry....

What more can I do to keep the tank clean besides cleaning gravel 3-4 times a week and weekly water changes?

Just dont overfeed the fry. Small amounts of food many times a day is the way to go.
I only clean my gravel during water changes once a week or twice a week.

Right now I have 4 day old molly fry with 1 day old molly fry. Is that ok?
No problem. If there was 4-6wks between them, then i would keep the newborn fry in a container, inside the fry tank. Connect a trap to the side wall with algae magnets. That way you can just pop them in there for the first week and they get plenty of food.

What more can I do to keep the tank clean besides cleaning gravel 3-4 times a week and weekly water changes?
Give the inside of the glass a wipe down with a BRAND NEW sponge(for washing dishes). Make sure it's new and only use it for that tank. Get a small corycat, they are bottom feeders and will clean up any left over food. They are not a replacement for good routines but are a good gravel cleaner. They will not bother your fry.....

Ok sounds ok. I just read somewhere that they do better in groups
I believe so. You could go with 2, i just don't want an Ammonia spike in my fry tank. I might add another in a few weeks, i want to see the effect this guy has first....So far, no food left after feeding

I have an adopted new molly. I'm wondering if she is pregnant? To me she seems kind of squared off or am I just seeing things?

Attachments

• image-1739031967.jpg
    image-1739031967.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 43
  • image-2898109767.jpg
    image-2898109767.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 43
I have an adopted new molly. I'm wondering if she is pregnant? To me she seems kind of squared off or am I just seeing things?
Oh no, not another balloon molly...haha. I don't know, if you look at the pic of my b.molly, she is massive and has never had(that i'm aware of) fry. She seem to be the same size for the 2mths i've had her. I find them so hard to tell....sorry!!!!

I know...a friend decided to put cichlids in her tank and that molly was being picked on so I offered to take her...I couldn't bear her being abused

Yes. I have both of my suspecting moms in the nursery with a heavy planted bottom for potential fry...I don't know what else to do for them :(

Back
Top Bottom