Max's 20g Rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all! I am getting ready to start a new build. After a few years with my first rimless tank (5 gallon), I wanted another- but this time I wanted a larger one. I had been considering ADA, Mr. Aqua and Aquatop tanks for a while, but couldn't justify the price. Well, luckily enough, today while shopping at Petsmart, they had the Marineland 20 gallon rimless combo (tank, stand, cover and light normally $240) on clearance for $120. It was sort of an impulse buy, but I decided it would work well for my budget. The silicone work is okay- not what you'd expect from ADA, but it's fine with me.

Tank Specs:

Hardware:
  • Tank: Marineland 20 H Rimless (24inx12inx16in)
  • Light: Marineland 18-24in Single Bright LED (I might switch to something brighter- I'm still not exactly sure what I'll do with this tank)
  • Filter: Fluval 206 (I might get lily pipes eventually)
  • Heater: Hydor ETH 50w Inline Heater
  • Co2: I'm still deciding whether or not to have co2 on this tank
  • Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia (Normal Type)
  • Hardscape: I'm not sure yet, but I was thinking of having a tree using moss and driftwood
  • Background: I am considering using a black or cloudy background

Planned Flora:
  • Xmas Moss
  • Downoi (Pogostemon helfiri)

I'm not sure what fauna to get for the tank yet. I am thinking pygmy cories, ember tetras, CPDs and/or scarlet badis. I'm open to suggestions.

Dosing:
I have mixed liquid ferts that I will be dosing 2-3 times per week, following the EI method.

Pictures:

The tank and stand:
img_2653028_0_b0491d8544f60ca15d3a06d3085b8680.jpg

Closer pic of the tank with the light on:
img_2653028_1_1bd46d9ad85f1c842abbcac1689074b4.jpg

Aquasoil:
img_2653028_2_ce508fdb380b54b9321dee207706a900.jpg

Last edited:
Following along. I just set up 2 nano fish tanks not too long ago, one a 24g rimless Nuvo and I am really enjoying all the nano fish. One nano fish that I am really enjoying is the Burmese Rosy Loaches. Tiny little guys and the females look like a totally different loach as they are spotted or broken barred and not the rosy color the males are.

I just drew a scape idea I had... Let me know what you think. It's obviously not complete, it's a rough idea that I just came up with.

img_2653432_0_0b979625ddd5586986b37aa03a0b5345.jpg

I am thinking of putting sand in the middle. Also, maybe a rock or two to the left of the tree.

I just drew a scape idea I had... Let me know what you think. It's obviously not complete, it's a rough idea that I just came up with.

img_2653630_0_0b979625ddd5586986b37aa03a0b5345.jpg

I am thinking of putting sand in the middle. Also, maybe a rock or two to the left of the tree.

Is this a front view or side view? And is the white sand? I don't think I get it...

:hide:

According to this, I am only getting 3-8 PAR with this light. I am pretty sure I will upgrade.

I was admiring that tank at my local store also. I wish they would put it on clearance! You got a killer deal! I think it will look awesome if you scape it like the drawing. Keep us posted!

Following! Hey can't beat that clearance price, nice find! The moss will do fine in low tech conditions, but I'd be concerned with the downoi. Upgrade on lighting and co2 (or liquid carbon) might be in store.

+1 on the Sat+. Nice light!

I did too, but the silicone job on the one at my Petsmart was absolutely terrible. It looked like it was just a derimmed 20H.

I think if I am going to pay that much for a light, it might as well be good enough for high light. I am thinking maybe I should get one that would give me high light, but then I would be able to dim it for now.

I think if I am going to pay that much for a light, it might as well be good enough for high light. I am thinking maybe I should get one that would give me high light, but then I would be able to dim it for now.

Well if you want LED, there's the Ray 2 and the BML lights.

You could also get a 2 bulb T5HO and only run one bulb for low tech.

Back
Top Bottom