Max's 20g Rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good question...

I know people use those thin plastic cutting board mats... Might wanna check out Bed Bath and Beyond... :lol:

I think that is what Dino/Convict used to control the slope in in tank. I think they only come in white. But they are food grade safe. Here is a pic of an old one I found. Obviously it has been used quite a bit.
VYTGLgi.jpg

Oh, if you go to BBB, don't forget to use the 20% coupons they're always sending in the mail.
Just saying.

Okay... found substrate supports. I'm at Target and they have polypropylene placemats (14" x 18") on clearance for 98¢. Bought some and I returned that rubber stuff... didn't want to risk it.

Okay... found substrate supports. I'm at Target and they have polypropylene placemats (14" x 18") on clearance for 98¢. Bought some and I returned that rubber stuff... didn't want to risk it.

Can you post a pic? What color? I might have to resort to eBay for mine.

Oh it's terrible looking..they're opaque white with flower print. But they'll get pushed into the substrate and won't be seen anyways.

ForumRunner_20130920_210743.jpg

Oh it's terrible looking..they're opaque white with flower print. But they'll get pushed into the substrate and won't be seen anyways.

Yeah, it won't be noticeable once you place them. I think I'm going to try to get a transparent one.

What about those super flexy thin cutting boards?? They are clear and safe..I think. Haha.

How much were those? I was going to either look for them locally or buy them on eBay but the ones from Target were cheaper.

Thanks for the offer.. I'll stick to my ugly flowerprint. I'm cutting them up and sticking them in the substrate anyways.

I used slate rock for my substrate supports, but I guess that isn't really a money efficient way but they were free from a friend so w/e

My substrate dividers should arrive Tuesday. I am deciding whether or not to use the PFS that I have leftover from some of my older builds. It's kind of tank, so it might not look the best. I am working on getting lily pipes as well.

My substrate dividers should arrive Tuesday. I am deciding whether or not to use the PFS that I have leftover from some of my older builds. It's kind of tank, so it might not look the best. I am working on getting lily pipes as well.

I meant tan, not tank. :lol: I just ordered some white sand from ebay. I am almost ready to start scaping (for real this time). I'm still looking for driftwood though.

Here's a piece I'm thinking about getting. I think I would cut the top part off and use it as the tree.

stump10a.jpg

Last edited:
This isn't a huge update, but I finally got some sand to use as the "river". I might adjust the placement a little bit. I'm still looking for driftwood for the tree. I'm also going to trim the dividers so they aren't as visible. Also, I have a foreground plant picked out. I think I will keep it a secret and make it a surprise once the scale is complete.

img_2666396_0_eed6a184f52619ef831cd694815d6db0.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good man.. nice hills too. Did you get the substrate supports already? I think the dw that Bill offered you would make a good tree.

I decided not to go with a tree aquascape. I also decided that I won't be using white sand- I'll just use aquasoil. I will still have slopes and a "valley" in the middle. I'm working on getting some more seiryu (I am open to other kinds of stone/rock too... whatever I find for a good price will work) stone to work with.

Can't wait to see what new direction you're taking it. What made you decide against the sand? Sent you the PM on the stones ;)

I decided to skip the lily pipes for now until I have the funds. So now all I need to do is get stones (awaiting reply from seller) and I should be ready to set this tank up! :)
I'll just be using the stock plastic Fluval intake strainer and outflow for now.

Lily Pipes

I decided to use the lily pipes from my 5g tank (I found an easy way to adapt the tubing to this size). The 5g can use different pipes for now. I wasn't sure how to position them- I've seen it done multiple ways, so I was curious what you guys think.

Option A (this would be the easiest. I could also swap them so they are on the opposite sides)
img_2701161_0_3d3120ca879239ce730f5bbf33d14374.jpg

Option B (this would be a bit harder due to the shape of the stand. I would have to run tubing at an angle from under the stand and then have it run up the side of the tank)
img_2701161_1_cf68c20bcf8fce3847bf94f1a9e04aad.jpg

Someone asked me about the quality of the Marineland rimless tanks, so I figured I would go ahead and answer it here.

The silicon work seems decent. By that I mean no where near ADA standards, but better than average tanks with rims. There were some strings here and there, but they were easily fixed with a razor blade.
img_2701161_2_b47e033fae1509db8882a933be767d07.jpg

One thing that kind of bugs me with the glass is that the edges are sharp. They're almost (I can see that the corners have been sanded down a tiny bit) like newly cut glass panes. I don't see this being an issue for me, but I am sure it would drive some people crazy. I might sand it down to make it look better some time.
img_2701161_3_8393714a312e67e63a9ef62d3c5e8d02.jpg

I'm almost ready to start scaping. I just need to get the stones, figure out a scape and then I will be ready to flood. I will see how it goes with no co2 (just glut/Excel in addition to NPKT). I am afraid that it will be an algae farm without it. I plan on getting a co2 setup later on.

Back
Top Bottom