Max's 20g Rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well if you want LED, there's the Ray 2 and the BML lights.

You could also get a 2 bulb T5HO and only run one bulb for low tech.
I will keep that in mind. The Marineland light is already gone! :) I sold it on ebay.

I actually do like the Satellite+. It would give me medium light (barely... low end of medium light). I really like the different modes it has with the remote. I can always upgrade later. I can get it from Petco for a pretty good price.

Last edited:
I actually do like the Satellite+. It would give me medium light (barely... low end of medium light). I really like the different modes it has with the remote. I can always upgrade later. I can get it from Petco for a pretty good price.

Yeah it's pretty cool actually!

Although I love the Sat+ and BML LED fixtures, sometimes not every light is the "right fit" in terms of budget restraints or desired light output intensity.

So just to throw a third option out there, there is the Marineland Plant LED. This sucker has pretty high PAR with some Red diodes too. It's basically marineland's reef capable but geared toward plants from the offered color temp.

The 18" expands to 24" and is like 100$ cheaper than the 24" model. But with the 18" you can always suspend it if you need lower PAR and/or light spread.

http://www.amazon.com/Marineland-18...80721&sr=8-1&keywords=marineland+plant+LED+18

Last edited:
I thought about that too, Brian. I just thought if he was going to spend 150+ on a light, he might as well go with a BML since it's dimmable.

Yeah true...the 24" BML is 179$ + ship though. If he opted for the 18" to save a little, he'd have to hang it from the get go because the legs don't expand.

I did some real scaping today. Still not the best, but it's a start.

FTS:
img_2654330_0_414980ad617f9358ebec8665d0def7cb.jpg

Do you like my moss tree? I bet you couldn't even tell it wasn't real :p
img_2654330_1_c8ce74b68cbbf778e26657643447a871.jpg

The river will be here:
img_2654330_2_ec2774cb5ab12ae3c3272fe2e5b7b96b.jpg

That's a tall slope!
img_2654330_3_2ab65f93afba7e7de5ea5deec5e62bd1.jpg

I thought of another option for the light: Truelumen Pro. I can get a 24" strip, power adapter and inline dimmer for around $150. But I REALLY like the Satellite+! I just wish it was brighter :/

Last edited:
I did some real scaping today. Still not the best, but it's a start.

FTS:

Do you like my moss tree? I bet you couldn't even tell it wasn't real :p

The river will be here:

That's a tall slope!

I thought of another option for the light: Truelumen Pro. I can get a 24" strip, power adapter and inline dimmer for around $150. But I REALLY like the Satellite+! I just wish it was brighter :/

Looks good so far ;)

To be honest, I think if you're going to spend that much, you should save up 30$ more and go with a BML light. Then you have a super high light fixture that colors plants well, and can be dimmed.

Lol... love the creativity with the arts & crafts! I say, just go with the Sat+ since you like it. If the intensity isn't to your liking, you can upgrade with a second Sat+ later to add to it.

Check out this thread from Current. They're growing HC 18" deep, so they claim. But judging by their advertised PAR numbers, you'll at least get 30+ PAR, which is capable of growing a lot of plants.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=379417

I found a temporary solution for a light- a 30" 2xT5HO that I had laying around. It was for my 20 long, but I took it down a few weeks ago. It will do for now, until I can save up enough money for the Satellite+.

img_2654387_0_1a1067dafaacb3af42fb0e672c1bb3d9.jpg

Haha! Nice tree!

Hey dude, I still have that piece of driftwood I was gonna use as a tree if you want it. Lemme know.
img_2654397_0_06053abf34c001c2564b3764a0ded3b6.jpg

Thanks, but I was looking for something more like the one in this picture:

Iwagumi.jpg

I do have a somewhat tree shaped piece of driftwood, but I think I can find something better than it. I used it in my old layout for the 5, back when it was a Fluval Chi.

attachment.php

I am thinking of a way to keep the sand and aquasoil from mixing. I have an idea but I'm not sure if I'll be able to build it. I think I could probably use silicone to attach the sides to a flat piece of plastic.

img_2654564_0_b449521ec27403fc2ee4cf60d7c4e26a.jpg

Things might slow down for a bit as I find a piece of driftwood, solution to keep the substrate separate, and some lily pipes. It shouldn't be too long, and after I find these things it should speed back up.

In my search to find new ways to scape my upcoming build I found this....

I'm going to try using these rubber dividers I found at Home Depot for substrate supports and dividers. It's fairly inexpensive, flexible, and can be cut to size.

ibzEDm2q4LzG91.jpg

irJo33h18B4jS.jpg

ibmz7bT2rLSzg8.jpg

In my search to find new ways to scape my upcoming build I found this....

I'm going to try using these rubber dividers I found at Home Depot for substrate supports and dividers. It's fairly inexpensive, flexible, and can be cut to size.

Wait a minute... do you guys think rubber is toxic to aquariums? I'm thinking it's cool because there's rubber in a lot of aquarium equipment (i.e. filter hose attachments, suction cups, etc.). LOL

Wait a minute... do you guys think rubber is toxic to aquariums? I'm thinking it's cool because there's rubber in a lot of aquarium equipment (i.e. filter hose attachments, suction cups, etc.). LOL

Good question...

I know people use those thin plastic cutting board mats... Might wanna check out Bed Bath and Beyond... :lol:

Back
Top Bottom