Max's 20g Rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's cool about the legs is that you can adjust each one's height so that the stand/tank will be perfectly level. So after you set it up, don't forget to check and make minor tweaks before you fill the tank and it's too heavy.

The stand should arrive on Thursday. I probably won't set up the tank for another week or two because I need to get some more plants and possibly change up the plant layout. I will most likely keep the hardscape the same.

I am not 100% sure yet, but I was thinking of gluing or tying riccia to pieces of slate and putting them down like patches. It would be fast and easy to grow. Perfect for someone who has plant "skills" like me (please notice the sarcasm). I am looking into lower light and less demanding plants. And also because it looks cool, like a bush. Especially when it's pearling, which should be fairly often in co2.

Pictures (found in google images... not mine)
115464777.9co6pHa1.RicciaDwarf.jpg

Ricciafluitans.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah that looks cool. I tried riccia once. I accidentally melted all of it when I dosed excel heavy trying to get rid of some algae.

I finally had a chance to put the Besta (I'm not sure if I should call it a stand... ?) together and hide some equipment! :) Please excuse the filthy tank... I will clean it up soon. I still need to make sure the stand is level.

img_2913589_0_f22186be882542166b2ddbd84e09bd1c.jpg

There's about a 3 inch gap between the back of the tank and the edge of the Besta. I might slide the tank back, but it definitely looks better when it is all the way forward. If I drill or cut holes for the tubing on the sides of it (picture below), then I will be able to keep it all the way forward. Any ideas?

img_2913589_1_907ddd8aa3fd6e0884278cfaabdd61be.jpg

The side:

img_2913589_2_ba1f8630d1b6844aebe2bde6a5346b59.jpg

Some of the equipment that will be hidden (this looks slightly organized... with cords and wires, it's a mess)

img_2913589_3_e693d59b18a332d25ecd5d459e441cc8.jpg

The flood is close. I just need to get some riccia and figure out a way to attach it to slate. Possibly using silicone or glue. Any other suggestions or things I should do before I flood it?

Yeah I keep my tank all the way forward - albeit the gap. Not sure what to say about drilling. Haven't done that other than a single hole in the backboard for wires. However, I'll be curious to see what you do because I'll be moving soon (again). The next time I set up the tank I think I'm going to use a canister and Lily pipes, so drilling might be an option.

Yeah I keep my tank all the way forward - albeit the gap. Not sure what to say about drilling. Haven't done that other than a single hole in the backboard for wires. However, I'll be curious to see what you do because I'll be moving soon (again). The next time I set up the tank I think I'm going to use a canister and Lily pipes, so drilling might be an option.

I didn't even put the backboard in... Its pretty much cardboard so it doesn't offer much support, and most real "stands" just have open backs for easy installation anyway. I might try to figure out how to use the canister and get the tubing to stretch across the gap.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Even though the backboard is cheap, I'd probably still put it on. It will add a surprising amount of stability to the stand, and keep it from twisting or basically falling over on its self. Just my opinion, but I definitely wouldn't run it with out it. I wouldn't trust whatever cheap ways that ikea stuff holds the seams together to support 200+ pounds. Just something to think about...

I'm just having this horrible vision of the stand collapsing over to the side and causing some major damage... Better safe than sorry, dude.

Last edited:
Even though the backboard is cheap, I'd probably still put it on. It will add a surprising amount of stability to the stand, and keep it from twisting or basically falling over on its self. Just my opinion, but I definitely wouldn't run it with out it. I wouldn't trust whatever cheap ways that ikea stuff holds the seams together to support 200+ pounds. Just something to think about...

I'm just having this horrible vision of the stand collapsing over to the side and causing some major damage... Better safe than sorry, dude.

I already filled it back up a few minutes ago. It was pretty much my only option right now because I don't have power tools, but soon I will see if I can cut a hole in the side and put the back on.

I would post a pic but it looks like crap right now... Half of the plants are dead so it looks dirty and bare. I ordered a ton of plants, so I will plant it in a few days and post a pic once it looks better.

Update coming soon

So I got 20 neon tetras on sale at Petsmart the other day. Now I'm down to 12. They were only $1 each, so its not a huge loss, but still a bummer. They're in quarantine for a while. After another few weeks I will put them in the 20.

They have a fish guarantee. Take the bodies back for live ones.

The problem is that I can't recover the bodies. The two bodies that I was able to find fell apart when I tried to net them out.

Down to 11. I think this was just weak stock.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I'm not mistaken, most large stores have central filtration like that - not just petco.

Sucks that you lost so many, hopefully the other 12 pull through.

And most large stores I have trouble with. Even in the saltwater section my LFS has separate sumps and skimmers.

Sorry Max. I have The same experience with fish from Petco & Petsmart. I always bought more grief than pleasure from them on fish. Sadly, I have wrote them off from ever buying fish from them again. OS.

Back
Top Bottom