Max's 20g Rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
While the graph is interesting and does show some correlation between temp changes and pH it should be noted that a 4 degree temperature swing will only change the pH by about .56% (an incredibly small amount). Very cool graph though!

While the graph is interesting and does show some correlation between temp changes and pH it should be noted that a 4 degree temperature swing will only change the pH by about .56% (an incredibly small amount). Very cool graph though!

It had temperature compensation turned on though. I turned it off after I posted that to see if it looks any different.

Sorry guys, busy night. I'm working on it now and I should still have it done tonight

Finally Flooded

I just finished filling the tank a few minutes ago. I used another 3 liters of aquasoil to make a slope towards the back. The filter o ring dried out and doesn't work anymore, so my filter leaks :( I had to throw on an Aquaclear 20 for now. I planted Ludwigia sp. atlantis, rotala macranda variegated, A.R. mini, S. repens, a little anubias sp. micro and a tiny crown of downoi. I didn't dose any ferts or program the co2 yet, so I am planning on leaving hte lights off until I can get those things set up tomorrow.

img_2803309_0_ac909e906455b2f9e60ac596bbb12d6b.jpg

img_2803309_1_d873c4ad16d0ef5d20419b5812ae18ba.jpg

I dosed EI ferts+excel, added a drop checker and programmed the Apex. Everything is running except for the heater (which is an inline, so I can't use it until my filter is working again). The tank is a bit cold at about 64 right now. Hopefully the plants don't mind too much. I'm experimenting with the co2 right now. The one good thing about having to use the Aquaclear is that I can put the probes in it and they're hidden better than just having them sit in the tank.

Last edited:
I think I found a good pH range already. It's set to turn the co2 on if the pH is above 6.5 and then turn it off once it's lower than 5.9. I set it to not run at all at night when the light is off. The drop checker is lime green. Everything seems to be ok. There are still a few bubbles from when I filled it up, but they'll go away. I am getting (or maybe got while they were in my other tank) some algae on the plants- especially the AR mini. Any idea what it is or what to do to get rid of it?

img_2805169_0_97a36aa85e3d8e657a729f2811119b4c.jpg

It looks a bit pale. I think it's simply because it was in my other tank without enough iron and other nutrients that it likes. It should color up in this tank soon.

Last edited:
I narrowed the pH to 6.24-6.26. The drop checker is green. I think the "algae" might just be dust from the soil.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've got the same thing going on with some recently added mini AR. I believe that the plant is adjusting to the new environment. After transplanting (even in the same tank) some of my plants go through an adjustment period, especially the older leaves. They no longer grow and algae settles on them. I usually trim them off so that the plant devotes its energy to the new leaves.

Here's a picture after a few days. This is 1 day after I did a water change. The plants haven't grown much yet because they're still adjusting. I trimmed and replanted some of the taller stems. Still waiting on the o ring for the canister filter, but other than that everything is going well.

img_2813757_0_16856bfd1dceb945e0c5c821d3258bfe.jpg

Are you planning to add more light? I think 1 Sat+ is pretty low light on that size tank. You may not see any growth, maybe a little... very slowly (I think).

Are you planning to add more light? I think 1 Sat+ is pretty low light on that size tank. You may not see any growth, maybe a little... very slowly (I think).

I agree with Brian on this one.
I know, I am planning on either getting another Sat+ or upgrading to a BML. I am not sure if I should get the VHO or just HO LED. What do you guys think? Here are the PAR charts (click for bigger pic)
HO:

VHO:

Well, first off I think you should definitely get the dimmer with it. I say just go for the XB series. It's the same price, correct?

Well, first off I think you should definitely get the dimmer with it. I say just go for the XB series. It's the same price, correct?
That was the whole point- I can buy a cable so my Apex can dim it :) If only the Sat+ worked that way. The XB (VHO) series is $220 for a 24" fixture while the original series is $180. So it's a not a huge difference in price. I was thinking 45 degree beam angle because it is the most even coverage at 24 inches (all is above 75 micromoles with the XB).

Last edited:
Yeah, since you have an apex Neptune, I'd get that cable and really get full use out of it, plus the extra oomph. Repurpose the Sat+ because we can never have enough MTS problems. Lol

Yeah, since you have an apex Neptune, I'd get that cable and really get full use out of it, plus the extra oomph. Repurpose the Sat+ because we can never have enough MTS problems. Lol

I may or may not have yet another rimless 20 in the works. ;)

Back
Top Bottom