Mebbid's high tech 40b journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Purigen won't really remove tannins. Carbon is pretty beast at removing tannins, however.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Purigen won't really remove tannins. Carbon is pretty beast at removing tannins, however.

I agree :) doesnt purigen do something with nitrogenous wastes??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Won't carbon and purigen both absorb fertilizers?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Purigen has a very limited capacity for absorbing ferts. Carbon can and will remove heavy metals like iron. Fortunately it maxes out its capacity with biological and other matter more readily. I can guarantee carbon will remove tannins, but I wouldn't run it 24/7 on a planted tank. Just enough to clear out the tannins. I run Purigen 24/7 and have even recharged several bags without issue.

Seachem. Purigen

How is purigen versus carbon for removing tannins in your experience? If one is better, is it 2x better?

How is purigen versus carbon for removing tannins in your experience? If one is better, is it 2x better?

If carbon is a 10 out of 10 then I'd say purigen is maybe a 6 out of 10. It's not great, but it does work. That being said, I'd choose purigen over carbon any day.

I think carbon needs replacing fairly regularly as it loses its efficiency

I think carbon needs replacing fairly regularly as it loses its efficiency

It does, at the very most it can last month for the higher quality carbons but more often it's about 2 weeks.

I know purigen is easily recharged by bleaching. Can carbon be recharged by baking or is that just a myth?

I know purigen is easily recharged by bleaching. Can carbon be recharged by baking or is that just a myth?

That's just a myth. Carbon can't be recharged.

I found some DHG on sale in the tissue culture packs so I decided WTH and am going to give it another shot. Also, some updated pictures! Some of the plants are doing better, some are doing worse, many are the exact same.

aw3XJxy.jpg

yghyQhg.jpg

a9FbmVA.jpg

KO1XKxE.jpg

aG6eycd.jpg

yAgLxgU.jpg

b9UWXGL.jpg

Man those tannins are hard core huh?? Once they clear I think your plants are going to go beserk..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Man those tannins are hard core huh?? Once they clear I think your plants are going to go beserk..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Haha yeah, its that enormous piece of wood. I certainly hope it does. It clears up a bit after a water change but is right back to this after a few days.

You have no interest in boiling that wood? Too much hassle to remove at this point?

You have no interest in boiling that wood? Too much hassle to remove at this point?

I boiled that chunk of wood for 6 hours in my big brewing pot, stored it in a container changing the water out daily with fresh boiling water for 2 weeks, and then had it in my tank for about 3 months in the past. Nothing shall quench the unending supply of tannins from this beastly chunk of mopani!!!

It being a dirted tank is just compounding the issue too.. heh.

My dirt never really leached tannins. Get a big sack of carbon and toss it into your can. You won't regret it.

Nothing shall quench the unending supply of tannins from this beastly chunk of mopani!!!

I hear ya. I boiled my 12 inch mopani 8 or 9 times and on the 9th boil the water is still like black coffee. Its still faster to expel the tannins by boiling. When I leave the wood sitting in a bucket it takes a week before the water turns coffee black (if at all). I wonder how my local fish store cleansed their giant 4 foot long malaysian driftwood....

I boiled that chunk of wood for 6 hours in my big brewing pot, stored it in a container changing the water out daily with fresh boiling water for 2 weeks, and then had it in my tank for about 3 months in the past. Nothing shall quench the unending supply of tannins from this beastly chunk of mopani!!!

It being a dirted tank is just compounding the issue too.. heh.

Oh yeah, I had a rather small piece of mopani that I boiled for over 18 hours and soaked for a week before putting it in my tank, and 2 years later it is still leeching tannins. I'm convinced mopani is just one big tannin.

Back
Top Bottom