Micro bubbles? Algae? Aliens? What is it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wrmiller

Aquarium Advice Freak
This is driving me crazy! I have these really small dust looking things in my aquarium all the time and it's really frustrating me. You cant see it no matter how hard you look with the lights off but with the lights on it looks horrible! I don't know if it is oxygen in the water being out there by the filter or if it is algae bloom. I'm stumped. Has anyone else have or had this same issue? It looks like dust in the water when the lights are on. Chemistry is fine according to APC Master Kit.

My light is a t5 HO single 56 watt bulb. I leave the light on approximately 13 hours each day. I have been fighting algae a bit so I'm going to be cutting the lighting back. I think I'm going to cut back to 8 or 9 hours a day and get a 40 watt bulb instead of the 56 watt.

Here is what did yesterday yet the issue still exists. I did about a 70% water change and scrubbed down the glass. I removed everything from the tank and did a good thorough gravel vac while removing the water. I have had the lights off all last night and all day today. I added Fluval water polishing pads in to my 405. Still, the floater persist.

Here is a short. Idea showing the condition. Only visible when the lights are on. I know the larger bubbles in the video are oxygen because it is from the input breaking the water surface.
http://db.tt/WAxslZ5q

Help!!! Thanks!!!!

A few things that stick out... 56w? you sure it's not a 54w... 48" bulb? You can't put a 40w bulb in a 54 (or 56w???) fixture. 13 hours is insane. Cutting back would be like 4-6 hours, not 8 or 9. I have to wonder, with your cleaning routine, if you're not seeing a bacteria bloom. Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle and how it works?

Yes. Completely aware of nitrogen cycle and tank has been cycled for months now or filter has been I should say.

You may be right about the wattage. 54 does sound right and not 56. It's a Hagen Glo fixture. From what I have read and been told, I can put a 40 watt Glo T5 bulb in my Glo HO fixture no problem. Do you think otherwise?

I know I'm a light junky with 13 hours a day. Aquarium is in the basement and I like to see the fishes when I work. I will be cutting back though. I'll ween myself off.

So, if it is algae and if I leave the lights off 100% how long should take to make a difference? From yesterday to tonight and with the polishing pads and 70% water change I'm seeing little or no difference.

Those look like bubbles. Maybe your canister has an air leak from the intake or from where the cover meets the container? Has there been a drop in water level in your canister?

NoMoreGoldFish said:
Those look like bubbles. Maybe your canister has an air leak from the intake or from where the cover meets the container? Has there been a drop in water level in your canister?

No, no air leaks in the filter. It does look like air bubbles but I don't think they are because if I turn the filter off and let the tank sit the stuff stops moving and then stays suspended in the water. If it were air it would slowly make its way to the top to escape. It sort of links like dust in the water. I have always rinsed everything put in to the tank really well. The polishing pads I put in to the filter seem to be having no effect at all. I have a QT tank set up that does not have this same issue so it can't be the water I'm introducing to the tank as I'm using the same water source for both. Really frustrating.

As soon as my QT is fully cycled I think I may have to tear down the 60g and just do a fresh start.

Is it possible for you to scoop some out with a glass? It would be easier to observe that way. If those things disappear in the glass, then they're air bubbles, if they remain in the glass after a minute or so, then they're dust or something else.

NoMoreGoldFish said:
Is it possible for you to scoop some out with a glass? It would be easier to observe that way. If those things disappear in the glass, then they're air bubbles, if they remain in the glass after a minute or so, then they're dust or something else.

I'm not at home right now but this is something I will try and post the results.

Ok. So I didn't do the glass test yet but what I did do is turn off all filtration and movement in the water. It has been about an hour and all of the dust looking stuff is just stationary and not moving up to the surface like it would if it were air.

Now looking in the tank I can see small white worm looking things in the water. What would those be and what should I do to get rid of them? They are very very small. Too small for me to get pictures of anyway.

wrmiller said:
Ok. So I didn't do the glass test yet but what I did do is turn off all filtration and movement in the water. It has been about an hour and all of the dust looking stuff is just stationary and not moving up to the surface like it would if it were air.

Now looking in the tank I can see small white worm looking things in the water. What would those be and what should I do to get rid of them? They are very very small. Too small for me to get pictures of anyway.

Yes, there are definitely some kind of white worms in the water and I would say that some are about a quarter inch. What in the world would they be?

Back
Top Bottom