Misterpenguin4s 4 gallon dwarf puffer tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an AC 20 on my 10 gallon, and all the way dialed down, it still creates quite a bit of flow... I think on a 4 gallon it would be way to much.

I have an AC 20 on my 10 gallon, and all the way dialed down, it still creates quite a bit of flow... I think on a 4 gallon it would be way to much.

On a 10 gallon? I have a aquaclear 30 on my 10 gallon turn all the way up and the flow is perfect.

there's no harm in trial-n-error, just for a little bit of course. i would go with aquaclear 20 and see if you can dial down to the flow you want to. plus, i'm sure you're going to get another aquarium in the future and this new filter can always come handy

An AC 20 would not be too much for the 4 gallon tank. I actually used an AC 20 on my 2 gallon cube for a little bit. I have since replaced it with the an Azoo Palm Filter but due to the flow control on the AC 20, even my Betta was fine in the cube. I've been playing musical chairs with my filters and fish... my betta is now in the 8g rimless (ADA 60-F) and the AC 20 is now on my 6g (GLA 36-L). But for the months I had the AC 20 on the 2.1g cube, it wasn't overkill in terms of flow on the lower setting... The Palm Filter is perfect for my cube though :)

Here's a video I made shortly after I setup the cube. The AC 20 didn't even bother by Betta in such a small space...
2.1g (20cm) Planted Cube - YouTube

Last edited:
maybe it's the water level relative to the top of the rim. i noticed that brian has water all the way up, almost at rim level

The filter that came with the tank just died on me. It just totally stopped. Doesnt even turn on. I have a penguin biowheel 100. Its for 20 gallons and doesnt have a flow control. Im not sure what to do now

time to call costumer service and file a complaint since the filter died so soon. in most cases, they will ask you to send the copy of the original receipt and ship you a replacement filter

time to call costumer service and file a complaint since the filter died so soon. in most cases, they will ask you to send the copy of the original receipt and ship you a replacement filter

Im not worried about getting a replacment. Im more concerned about the fact that I dont really have a replacment and the only choice I have is a penguin biowheel 100 rated for 20 gallons.

Im not worried about getting a replacment. Im more concerned about the fact that I dont really have a replacment and the only choice I have is a penguin biowheel 100 rated for 20 gallons.

do you have a bubbler? it will oxygenate your tank for a little while, which is better than having no agitation at all

do you have a bubbler? it will oxygenate your tank for a little while, which is better than having no agitation at all

Yea, I have one in there but IDK what Im going to do now. If I get the aquaclear 20 on Amazon it will take a couple days to get here and the only petsmart around me that has it priced at $36.00!!! Im pretty worried about the fish.

Trying to look at the pic of the filter you posted earlier... Maybe it's just so gunked up the impeller seized up. Have you gave it a good clean? My AC used to freeze up and I would use a pencil to give it a nudge to start spinning again.

Yea, I have one in there but IDK what Im going to do now. If I get the aquaclear 20 on Amazon it will take a couple days to get here and the only petsmart around me that has it priced at $36.00!!! Im pretty worried about the fish.

keep the water oxygenated and agitate by using the bubbler and do a 10-20%water change everyday, then you should be fine for 1-2weeks

I went ahead and put the biowheel in the tank. I just put some polyfil and the media from the old filter. I also put a sponge over the intake and that slows down the flow a little. The flow is pretty high but not too bad. I think the fish can handle it until I get an aquaclear.
img_2557294_0_c3feb1b1abcda63e519344cab21929d2.jpg

img_2557294_1_e68034ca726a938e225f34c43d552055.jpg

Have you tried Bill's suggestion? These HOB filters need a good impeller cleaning once and a while. They especially won't start up again after a water change when you unplug and plug them back in. I also have to re-start my AC 20 occasionally when it won't restart by moving the intake tube all the way to the side where I can see the impeller, after it's plugged in, nudge the impeller with a skewer stick to help the impeller start.

Have you tried Bill's suggestion? These HOB filters need a good impeller cleaning once and a while. They especially won't start up again after a water change when you unplug and plug them back in. I also have to re-start my AC 20 occasionally when it won't restart by moving the intake tube all the way to the side where I can see the impeller, after it's plugged in, nudge the impeller with a skewer stick to help the impeller start.

It doesnt even make a noise or vibrate at all. Ill go ahead and try to take it apart and see whats going on.

Wow... Just wow. So after going through all of that, I plugged in the filter again. It works now. Before it did nothing, now when I plug it in it vibrates and buzzes. I have it hooked back up to the tank. Thank you everyone for your advice!

Back
Top Bottom