my 125 cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome thanks mouth!! i will check it out n see!! Lots of activity in my tank the past few days and I'm pretty sure i have a few mating I will take pics of the ones I believe are doing the nasty:):) I think they are hybrids tho

Ok so here is a pic of what i believe is the mating male

ForumRunner_20111101_165532.jpg

Here is the pic of what I believe is the holding female the one by the plant is the female.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111101_165639.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111101_165639.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 81
Now after not being so lazy and doing a lil research for my self I found out that the one I have been trying to i d is a pseudotropheus socolofi n i have two of them n i think they are just awesome looking!! I think the two that are mating are cynotilapia white top hara but I could be wrong what do ya guys think?? Also mouth u are correct about that one blue one u ided which is also know as a ngara flametail. I just purchased him on Friday a lot with the sunshine but as i mentioned earlier the sunshine sadly only lasted about 3 hours before my other peacock played demolition Derby with him:'(

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111101_165924.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111101_165924.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 89
Yea yea its a jack he's old an actually super chill!! I know they normally don't mix but the owner of my cichlid shop, (something fishy) says he's older and that's why he's so calm. For the time being ima done on adding fish just bought that sunshine peacock and my other peacock killed him in about 3 hours and unfortunatly I don't have another tank yet but I'm working on it cause I know as many of my newbies mature I run the gauntlet of a Vietnam reinactment in there. Can anyone I'd the light blue/purple looking one its got an ice blue look to it.thanks guys love the input n info n thanks for the compliments.

View attachment 58917

Now after not being so lazy and doing a lil research for my self I found out that the one I have been trying to i d is a pseudotropheus socolofi n i have two of them n i think they are just awesome looking!! I think the two that are mating are cynotilapia white top hara but I could be wrong what do ya guys think?? Also mouth u are correct about that one blue one u ided which is also know as a ngara flametail. I just purchased him on Friday a lot with the sunshine but as i mentioned earlier the sunshine sadly only lasted about 3 hours before my other peacock played demolition Derby with him:'(

Yep, good call on the ID. Generally when adding new Africans, you need to rescape the tank. This will disrupt established territories and force the fish to find a new hope. While they are busy looking for new homes, they don't have time to beat up the new guy on the block.

Here are a few more pics this is the left side of the tank

ForumRunner_20111101_175852.jpg

Here is the right half

ForumRunner_20111101_175955.jpg

A few pic of my lil ones that I'm super excited to watch mature!! One is a pheno tanz, lot of blue so I'm hoping for a male! One is a pic of one of three blue dolphin, and the one kinda hard to make out is a lemon Jake.

ForumRunner_20111101_180250.jpg

ForumRunner_20111101_180351.jpg

ForumRunner_20111101_180424.jpg

your cave system is super dope!!

i just redid mine a week ago & i'm already thinking of switching to something like yours now lol

heres what i did but i dig yours more.. i def need to lower & extend mine left to right..

the second pic is my older formation which is very similar but the caves were too short & no one really used them lol

Attachments

• image-3319123988.jpg
    image-3319123988.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 84
  • image-935131472.jpg
    image-935131472.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 81
I think it looks awesome love all the plants and color!! Mines ok I have an ichy finger n wanna change it up but as i watch I have about four different fish doing that tail shimmy and they seem happy so i think imma leave it alone for a lil bit. I will show u a few pics of what i had before this setup. But once I got rid of the awful blue gravel I wanted to really go after a natural look!! My old setup looked way to staged. But thanks again!!

Ha funny you should ask yeah a lil bit I have a ton of the fish doing the tail shimmy and for the first time I saw two of the venustus lock lips so now I need to keep an eye on that then its kinda funny cause when the one venustus acts up my exo anguauy swims at him and he knocks it off. No one is really getting picked on yet though which is good. Any ideas what would spark all the shimmying going on?? Plus bout to get a 55 gallon tank tomorrow and looking to go sand any input on best and cheapest route??

a pwc, raised temp, raised agression or good food tends to trigger it - but the basic thing is happiness!!! x

i was going to jump in with play sand but u need a way to de-nitrify sand throughout the upkeep. i need to change my own play sand, as i am having very bad sewer-smells from nitrified bacteria trapped in the substrate. not good, and its sorta turning blue... so check out proper aquarium sand or pool filter sand.

Yea i may just stick with gravel before I get in over my head. Lol sorry I'm kinda new to all this lingo and figuring out along the way but what does pwc stand for??

Aahhh never mind it just hit me partial water change;) thanks yea that could be I try and do about a 20gallon change every 2 or third day depending on how they are acting and once a week I hit the gravel just in the front and corners can't really get behind or the middle with out changing everything. But seems to be working well so far, I'm pumping 1350 gph thru my canister in addition to my 1050gph circulation pump.

Sucolofi. And the cynotilapia and the red zebra. But the red zebra is always doing it, he's funny man as soon as i change the tank he can't wait to clear all the stones out from under that big clay pot on the right side of the tank. Almost instantly

Back
Top Bottom