My 12L: An Iwagumi style Nature Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks all - updates from today...

Blyxa is looking like it will pull through. Everything is slowly starting to spread a bit.

19738-albums2809-picture18518.jpg

19738-albums2809-picture18517.jpg

19738-albums2809-picture18516.jpg

Definitely looks like it's spreading. I hope the blyxa recovers.

I still can't get over how thin that light is. Very cool!

12/26 Update. Some more new growth on everything.

19738-albums2809-picture18567.jpg

FTS

19738-albums2809-picture18568.jpg

Eriocaulon. I think the meltdown is finished. Pretty much all of the old leaves died and browned out. I pulled them off. What you see here is all pretty much new growth since the plants arrived.

19738-albums2809-picture18569.jpg

Blyxa has also finished melting down I think. I think it will make through ok. I am seeing some new growth.

One issue I am having, as can often happen with a newly setup high tech tank is some hair algae. I am sure I will need to continue to tweak my PPS Pro dosing to keep it to a minimum. For now, that means cutting my P dose by half. We will see where that leads.

Are you checking to see if the AS is leeching ammonia? That might be giving you some staghorn (if thats what you have).

It isn't staghorn - it is either cladaphora or hair algae - but I think hair algae. This is aquasoil that I have already leached the ammonia out of... so no issue there.

I love it! Thanks for the updates. I'm glad everything looks like it is on the mend. Shipping can be rough on plants sometimes (even though I only keep the easy stuff, lol).

I never had an issue living south of the Mason-Dixie, but now that I am in Northern Illinois, I suppose it creates a whole new set of challenges. I am particularly happy to be seeing new growth on the eriocaulon. It isn't cheap, and it is notoriously sensitive. I think if I can get it to thrive an divide a few times, it is really going to make the scape look great. I will let the eriocaulon, HC, and UG all kind of blend in together.

I never had an issue living south of the Mason-Dixon, but now that I am in Northern Illinois, I suppose it creates a whole new set of challenges. I am particularly happy to be seeing new growth on the eriocaulon. It isn't cheap, and it is notoriously sensitive. I think if I can get it to thrive an divide a few times, it is really going to make the scape look great. I will let the eriocaulon, HC, and UG all kind of blend in together.

There, fixed that for you. :whistle:

I'm south of it obviously, but I'm still using Styro in my plant boxes this time of year. I haven't had any frozen plants so I guess it is working. I'm not familiar with your snooty expensive plant but I'm glad it's on the mend!!! :angel:

Just be glad you don't live in the middle of Hatfield/McCoy country.

Glad the blyxa is showing new growth! I fully blame messed up Chicago for that melting. Whether you live in or close to Chicago, it's all the same to me.

Well, plants are really coming in nicely now. The Blyxa has completely recovered and is even starting to have the reddish speckles in it that it tends to develop under high light. Very happy with the performance of the light.

Unfortunately, the hair algae is also very happy with it... and I was skiing for the last 3 days and away from the house, so it got a bit of chance to take hold. I will resume spot treating with excel and continue tweaking the PPS Pro dosing. I may have to get a little more drastic if it doesn't start to come under control soon.

Here are some updated shots of the tank:
19738-albums2809-picture18863.jpg

19738-albums2809-picture18864.jpg

Wow, it really is looking fantastic. Lots of growth in the short time it has been set up. Hate to hear you're having algae issues. Hopefully none of that came from the blyxa

The particular one in this tank is an ADA drop checker... but yes, they all work the same, and I also have several of the style that rook posted the link to.

Back
Top Bottom