My 12L: An Iwagumi style Nature Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Jason. I think a lot of the eriocaulon species are native to Australia (I could be wrong on that)... so there might already be a little OZ in the tank ;)

Well, the good news is the plants are thriving. The bad news is, the algae is really starting to frustrate me. I just can't seem to shake it. I am starting to wonder if it is cladaphora instead of regular hair algae, though it seems to have strands that are much longer than what I think cladaphora grows. I have been doing daily spot treating with excel, which has been effective at killing the areas I spot treat, but it just comes back within a day or two. Nitrates are 20ppm, ammonia/nitrites are 0. PO4 is testing out at 0.5ppm. PPS Dosing N, K, P, and Plantex CSM+B daily. I have not been dosing Fe. I wonder if that would help?

I am at my wits end. I have never had an issue clearing up an algae outbreak in a planted tank. It is almost to the point where I want to rip out all the plants, completely black out the tank for a week, and start over with the plants.

I don't think dosing Fe will help to be honest. The way I've gotten rid of it in the past is a 3 day blackout, followed by a full spot treatment, and tons of 50% water changes. I did 2x 50% daily water changes after and cranked the CO2 up for about a week. It came back in spots but I spot treated again and it finally stayed away for good.

I think inconsistent CO2 levels rather than dosing seems to be the cause more often than not.

Thanks Steve. For your 3 day black out, did you actually cover the tank with garbage bags, or just kill the light for 3 days?

Here is an updated FTS. Plants are doing great but I trashed half the HC due to the algae. This is what's left. The blyxa has done wonderfully.

Attachments

• image-3685475875.jpg
    image-3685475875.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 142
I threw a dark blanket over the tank and put a couple scrap pieces of wood across the tank to keep the blanket from sagging into the water. If you don't have much natural light where your tank is I think you'll be fine without covering it up.

Good luck! I was about ready to throw in the towel when I had it really bad.

Well, I cranked the CO2 up on Thursday afternoon. I think that has significantly slowed the growth of algae. SM and HN1 are also sending me some amanos to help munch some algae and keep it to a minimum. I might be able to avoid the blackout. We shall see.

I raised it up slowly over a couple of days... I took it from about 25ppm to 35ppm. I will keep an eye on the drop checker today and if the shade of yellow green lightens any more towards yellow, I will back it off a bit. I don't want to nuke my CRS :).

3 amanos.

Glad the CO2 is working out for you. That's what the problem was in my tank. I cranked it up for a few days 35-40ppm and then backed it back down to 30ppm after almost all was gone. Are you using a pH monitor or just a timer on your solenoid?

Everything was growing wonderfully. Unfortunately so was the algae. I am starting over with the plants. I ripped everything out and I have the tank blacked out right now. I am doing daily PWCs, and the amano I have in there seems to be taking care of the dead algae (It does seem like the algae in the tank has died during the black out).

I tried to do a strong excel dip and put the plants in a dark bucket of water for awhile, but the algae was still alive after 3 days, and the plants were starting to turn to mush - so garbage disposal it was.

I am going to leave the tank in the dark for another week, and start again on plants after that. I might forgo the HC and just go straight UG for the foreground. It is a very cool plant.

Can you give me some pictures of your UG and your thoughts and experiences with it so far? I recently picked up this for cheap on CL and am strongly considering decking on a 10g with Mineralized Top Soil with either UG or Staurogyne repens.

I gladly would have but it all went down the disposal...

Very neat looking and compact plant. Medium grower speed wise.

Hair algae of some kind. Nothing would get rid of it. Tried excel dips, h2o2 dips, blackouts, co2 overdose... Kept coming back.

Back
Top Bottom