My 1st 55 gal reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My lights are new about 2 weeks old now. I have the taotronic LED that I ordered from ebay and for my rodi I just changed my filters last week. I'll try to cut back my lights for 8 hrs starting today and we'll see of that helps. I dont have GFO reactor though. What does that do?

I'm going to get a real filter sock next week after exams and maybe get rid of my home made filter sock lol!!

I hate how i lost so much astrea snails in two months. When they fall they cant seem to get back on their feet. :( i need to get more of them..

Filter socks work great! But they get dirty and backed up really fast. I keep buying more because im too lazy to wash them. Now i have around 9 socks and i wash them together every couple of months.

Hello all, its been a while since the last time I posted but im happy to be back :D thank god Exams are over!! Wheeeww

Just tested my water parameters and here they are:
NH3 = 0
NO2 = 0
NO3 = 20
PO4 = 0.25
PH = 8
KH = 6

What do I need to be concerned with these parameters? Im still battling with cyano but good news is that they don't grow anymore and each day they die :)

Im planning to make a fuge from a Rubbermaid bin. Anyone tried this before? Also, im looking at the led strips they sell in Home Depot is that fine for my fuge?

Never tried it before but i can be done. Do you have a sump already? If not, you can turn the bin into a fuge/sump by creating a siphon and installing a return pump.

Yes I have a sump but theres not much space in there so im thinking to just use a Rubbermaid bin and drill it.

Im still having prob with my cyano it covering some of my zoas now.. :(

If you have the extra room for a rubbermaid fuge the i say go for it. Ive seen a lot of DIYs where people use an aquaclear HOB filter and convert it into a fuge. Cyano can a big pain. Ive had it bad before. I ended up using chemi-clean get rid of it and it killed all of it. I had to ofcourse perform a bunch of maintenance after to keep it from coming back.

So I went to lfs 2 days ago and I bought a ricordea frag :) it was on sale for $10 and I thought to try it out and see if it will survive in my tank

Here it is

image-3161978891.jpg

Nice! I think I have the same one. Theyre real easy to care for. If it has more than one mouth on it, It'll probably split.

Nice!! I've recently taken a real liking to ricordeas, and yours has a nice color! Great pick!

Hello all, I just added a midas blenny 4 days ago and he hasn't eaten yet. I tried feeding mysis, brine, flakes, pellets and he would just sit down on the sand n the corner. Im worried...

Please help me raise my KH because its only at 6 right now. Tested my water last night and here are the results

NO2=0
NO3=0
NH3=0
PO4=0
Ca=380
PH=~7.9
KH=6

I've read a trhread that says baking soda, kalk, crushed coral will help but idk which is the best way to go.

Please help me raise my KH because its only at 6 right now. Tested my water last night and here are the results

NO2=0
NO3=0
NH3=0
PO4=0
Ca=380
PH=~7.9
KH=6

I've read a trhread that says baking soda, kalk, crushed coral will help but idk which is the best way to go.

Have you done a water change lately? That should raise your levels up. Your calcium is a bit low also. WC's or dosing a calc/alk supplement will work. Kalk is a calc/alk additive. What kind of substrate do you have? Crushed coral does raise PH but traps a lot of dirt.

Yes, always do my pwc weekly and my KH, ph, and cal have always been like that lvl. I used aragonite caribsea substrate. Tank has been ruining for 3-4 months now.

Back
Top Bottom