My 20G Planted Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow your guppy puts out an amazing color being camera shy behind thosr plants. hope he gets better.

The blue guppy isn't that vibrant; it's that blue background that makes him look that way in photos. Don't get me wrong, he's beautiful, but that photo makes his color look more saturated than it is. Him and his yellow friend are doing well now. Less stressed. The blue one only has one eye (came from PetSmart that way), so he's a little more skittish and might explain why he stresses more easily. The yellow one explores the tank more.

Thanks Coralline and Botanica for the advice. You know, I think I'll just try something else unless my LFS feels really confident about the gouramis he has. It's just not worth the hassle for me. I'm going next weekend to see what else might be a good fit for my tank.

I haven't seen dwarf threadin rainbows come up in my searches, so something tells me they might not work in my 20G tank. But I'll look into it - thanks!

Another thing about them is if you give them alittle floating plant cover and a nice little area of java moss (or some type of moss- I have fissens in my tank) they will most likely spawn off and on. Mine usually do this first thing in the morning after they eat.

Rivercats said:
They are Threadfin Rainbowfish there is no dwarf variety. Here is a link to show you what they are. I have a school of 12 in my 220g and I love them. They are very easy to keep and quite hardy.

Threadfin Rainbow - Large Tropical Freshwater Fish for Sale

Yeah, sorry about that. My brain is busted today. More than usual! >_<

Still, I love threadfin rainbows. The LFS I go to very rarely has any but I plan on trying a couple if they ever have them again. Crazy beautiful. Thanks for the correction and the link.

Thanks for the tips!

Here's some pics from today...

Ramshorn on water wisteria:
aq%2520102212%2520042.JPG

One of my seven glowlight tetras:
aq%2520102212%2520034.JPG

Snail eggs (likely ramshorns):
aq%2520102212%2520028.JPG

Pink ramshorn on my ludwigia repens:
aq%2520102212%2520027.JPG

Fancy guppy and more snail eggs: :rolleyes:
aq%2520102212%2520017.JPG

The other guppy:
aq%2520102212%2520009.JPG

I'm a little shocked my anubias are doing so poorly. Many brown-ing leaves. :nono:

I actually had that happen to one of my anubia's when I moved it from a low light tank into the much higher light 220 tank. The leaves died but the rhizome still looked pretty good so I left it and even tho it took about 3-4 months it started sending out new leaves on both ends of the rhizome. So you can leave it where it is if you like it there and let it adjust to the light change naturally or move it to a more shaded area.

callisto9 said:
I'm a little shocked my anubias are doing so poorly. Many brown-ing leaves. :nono:

A similar thing happened in my 5 gallon betta tank when I upgraded the lights a couple weeks ago. It must've burned the leaves a little. Could also be a nutrient deficiency but it only happened to the anubias right under the light.

Still... those are gorgeous pictures!

I keep thinking I need more light, but I also wonder if it's something else. I don't know how I'd place another light up there. Maybe remove the opening lid and put another fixture in there?

I actually had that happen to one of my anubia's when I moved it from a low light tank into the much higher light 220 tank. The leaves died but the rhizome still looked pretty good so I left it and even tho it took about 3-4 months it started sending out new leaves on both ends of the rhizome. So you can leave it where it is if you like it there and let it adjust to the light change naturally or move it to a more shaded area.

I'm going to do some pruning this weekend. Some of my bacopa and ludwigia has been uprooted. I kinda like where it is, so I might just wait it out. All three of my anubias are not doing well, except for the 4th one - the one that came from my 6G tank (and oddly, was bought at PetSmart).

A similar thing happened in my 5 gallon betta tank when I upgraded the lights a couple weeks ago. It must've burned the leaves a little. Could also be a nutrient deficiency but it only happened to the anubias right under the light.

Still... those are gorgeous pictures!

Thanks. ;)

A member on The Planted Tank thinks it's a macro deficiency. I don't even know how to correct something like that.

callisto9 said:
Thank you! That's helpful. Seems to be in line with what the member on The Planted Tank told me - macro nutrient deficiency.

Going to pick up some Flourish comprehensive this weekend.

You're very welcome! I used to live on ThePlantedTank's forum but they stopped offering the iPod app. It's a superb community but I do just about all my participation with apps. I miss it terribly. :(

I like that forum a lot, but much of it is over my head and they are a little more hardcore than I'm wanting. Great info though. It's where I started.

Did a 3 gallon water change tonight. All inhabitants are doing well. I keep expecting fish deaths, but so far, so good. I had such a horrible start to this whole thing that each time I wake up each morning, I am so stoked everything is still living!

Some pics from tonight:

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmoss ball!
IMG_6648.JPG

Free ride:
IMG_6645.JPG

Yummy spirulina pellets from a PlantedTank member:
IMG_6644.JPG

And finally, a full tank shot:
IMG_6652.JPG

Back
Top Bottom