My 29 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My tank was opens top for years with a sixline. The only reason I built a top was for firefish, I made it out of the screening you use for screen doors and it works wonderfully

Thanks, my coris just popped out of the sand all happy and my six line emerged from his cocoon. One of the wrasses annoyed my acan, probably because there is a feather duster who thought it would be a good idea to set up shop on the corals skeleton.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think I did see him flashing his colors, it looked really cool. I'm leaving my tank top open though because it helps with lighting and oxygen exchange. I know there are many people who are going to yell at me for this but hey it's my tank, though I do leave the water level low so it helps a little bit (little over 2 inch between the water line and the top of the tank). Fish jumping is nothing new to me, I have had fish that were classified as jumpers but they never did.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I've lost 2 sixline wrasses to jumping out so in my experience it's a risk. You may want to consider a mesh lid or screen so you still have the air exchange without the worry of losing fish

Sure I think of some creation to stop the odd jump, though there is like a inch between the top of my tank and the lights. Every thing is very peaceful in my tank, even the six line so if there is jumping I would not know what it is that would cause it.

My coris has a funny little white thing on his face. Not on the gills or anything, it looks like he either cut himself a bit or got a bid of sand under his scales. He was acting normal before he went under the sand to bed so he should be fine.

Last question, how do you guys deal with dust on the water? I have a layer of dust on my water line I just can't seem to get rid of.

Sure I think of some creation to stop the odd jump, though there is like a inch between the top of my tank and the lights. Every thing is very peaceful in my tank, even the six line so if there is jumping I would not know what it is that would cause it.

My coris has a funny little white thing on his face. Not on the gills or anything, it looks like he either cut himself a bit or got a bid of sand under his scales. He was acting normal before he went under the sand to bed so he should be fine.

Last question, how do you guys deal with dust on the water? I have a layer of dust on my water line I just can't seem to get rid of.

It's not dust it's a protein, the way to fix it is to get more surface agnation and turn up the skimmer

Thanks, I'll figure a way to stir up the surface more.

I'm courious how long it took some of your guys corals to get were there at now. Did you start off really small or get big peices to start. I know it takes years, but for me I don't have a lot of time as I'll be starting college in 2 years. My question is did it take decades for your tanks to get where there at now?

Hey what do you guys think of the mark my coris got, looks like a scuff or a broken scaleImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1476737696.426198.jpg it is under his eye and a bit to the left. Not on the hill but more of a face plate.

What ever it was is gone and the area of scales is healing. Just wish my zoas would open, I have never had any good luck with zoas, they are open for a couple days when I first got them now they just barley crack open at all. Are there any good ways to have them open, could they not open because of too salty water. Let me know if you guys have some ideas to have them open it has been two weeks since they were last fully open. I move them to different spots but I can't tell what they like. And if I just have bad luck with them what are some easy to keep corals that will always look good and open.
Actually just read my water is not salty enough. It's at 1.025 I should get it to 1.027 will this harm my wrasses?

What ever it was is gone and the area of scales is healing. Just wish my zoas would open, I have never had any good luck with zoas, they are open for a couple days when I first got them now they just barley crack open at all. Are there any good ways to have them open, could they not open because of too salty water. Let me know if you guys have some ideas to have them open it has been two weeks since they were last fully open. I move them to different spots but I can't tell what they like. And if I just have bad luck with them what are some easy to keep corals that will always look good and open.
Actually just read my water is not salty enough. It's at 1.025 I should get it to 1.027 will this harm my wrasses?

I actually keep my water at 1.22-1.24 and my corals thrive (especially my Duncan's) Zoas I have had a bit of issue with as they seem fine but then one day disappear .

As for your wrasse, it looks like it's just missing a scale. My clown fish where missing one or two when I added them thanks to their sparing. Just make sure you water quality is clean and up to standard and it will heal up just fine

Ok so I'll keep sanity where it is now, but what should I do about the zoas. I read that some time rubbing them with a tooth brush to remove any algae helps.

I'll move them to an area below the pump so they can get low flow, the problem is that they will be in the middle and I have read they want high light so I'll see if I can find a good spot. Though I expect that just leaving them alone will help as well.

Hey do you guys think my tank would be manageable for my parents when I leave for college in 2 years, or would I be better off just shutting it all down.

My Duncan has so many baby heads under its main head and they are growing fast! And just today otitis around the base of my frogspawn is a bunch of little heads as well. Everything is grown(minus the zoas, still have terrible luck with them).

Photo update ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1477362660.031066.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1477362674.352262.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1477362695.295256.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1477362718.921470.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1477362727.409719.jpg of course my zoas won't open for any reason though it's getting better, may be looking for another coral if this zoa does not start fully opening.
Let me know if you guys want to see any close ups of my fish or corals.

^^yup, also of you want your Duncan's to grow faster, you could always Feed it. Mine are the most ravenous corals I have, eating a chunk of shrimp the size of a quarter...
Also on the parents taking care of it, it's iffy as I'm in the same boat as you with that

Thanks I'll figure that the college thing later on ( not going that far so maybe every 2 months I can come home for the weekend clean the skimmer and have dinner with my parents). My main goal right now is to get my zoas back up, they are halfway open but not fully open.

Back
Top Bottom