My 29 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ran into heater problems again. My main heater died so my old heater from my 10 gallon is running at full strength at around 74to 77. Picking up a heater today to fix the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fixed my heating issue. A little update, all my fish are happy, my corals are growing. My Florida recordia is turning blue now so that's fun. The six line has gotten a bit bigger since I first got him as well as the Coris wrasse. No fighting at at, not even a hint of it. Probably going to lose my zoa coral, but that's ok I only paid 20 for it. So in 2 months I'll get a new piece of coral, Any suggestions? I do well with the frogspawn and Duncan like corals, as well as mushrooms and Acans. I'm looking for corals that are not green, everything I have is green.

Before you count it as a loss, why are you going to loose it? One should never count coral out, they can be hardier than even we give them credit for.
Early in my reefing career I had a happy orange monti plating it's heart away. Then the summer turned brutally hot and my house lost power. I estimated it hit around 110 in my living room. I lost almost everything. The plate was totally white. I didn't remove anything, just addressed what I could and kept going on. With stable parameters, little orange circles began to show up on the bleached out plate. Color returned. It is still in the tank right now. Similar story to a little duncan I had. A loss in my tank's current issues...until the totally tissue less skeleton grew a couple of heads.

Ok the reason I'm saying it won't make it is that the heads won't open up and algae keeps covering the un opened heads making it hard for the head to open up. I'm constantly trying to remove that algae but nothing is working. It's how I lost my first zoa, which was the first coral I got.

I have the strangest fish, my clownfish loves the the front pane of glass in my tank, my yellow coris wrasse freaks out when I'm near the tank and wait by the surface for food, and my six line tries to cuddle up in my hand.

Little update, currently fighting bubble algae and this weird stringy brown algae. Besides that my zoas are starting to open up again and my acan has gained a 7th head.

Tanks doing well, just did a big cleaning yesterday. This is probably one of the best fish combos I ever hadImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1479256143.467374.jpg
The zoa has finally decided to open up after a month of not opening ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1479256186.721725.jpg

Ok the holidays are coming up and I'm looking for some corals. Here are some spots I have circled let me know what you guys would think look good there and do good thereIMG_1479703728.877692.jpg

I already have a Duncan, I could get a different one if they actually came in different colors. I'm looking for new species or different colors of a species I already have.

I know about those, right now I'm trying to go away from green corals since I have a lot of green already. My Lfs has some orange monti frags I may pick up. And I do like the leather coral idea and the blue symposium.

What would you guys think about a hammer coral?

Hammers are great or a torch. All the euphyllia are pretty awesome imo. Plus they come in cool color combos.

Well that's good, my lfs has a beautiful gold torch and gold hammer coral for sale. I wish I knew the price, instead I just looked at them and room photos of them.

So this weekend I'm going to buy a blue and red acan. I was wondering if there are any tricks to have them grow faster. Mine I have now took a year to a year and a half to go from 3 heads to 6 with a small 7th growing. Is it a good idea to show the blank skeleton out for growth or leave it touching the rock. It's shaped like a wedge. It's base is on the frag, top and one side are covered with heads with no room left. The large skeleton side I have on the rock.

Also I tried feeding, but any direct method of target feeding is just stolen by my cleaner shrimp.

Got two new corals, a hammer and another zoa. I'm not to happy about the zoa though, the colors looked different at the store.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1480172872.626950.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1480172946.277436.jpg

Coral coloration can vary depending on the lighting they are under. More blue leads to more 'pop'. Your LFS just uses more blue than you do.

+1 Zoas are a very easy coral to make it look like they're some crazy color but then under white lights they just look average.
I usually ask stores to turn up the whites before I buy any corals

Back
Top Bottom