My 5 gallon dwarf seahorse tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol. I know I find nanos so much cooler than large tanks. I wish you both the best!

I added the rock yesterday. (it looks white, if that helps at all) About to test the water parameters right now. if I added some macro algae would it die/screw up my cycling? Because right now my tank looks horrible with two fairly large rocks and 2 fake plants. I'm going to get fern caulerpa, it like eats nitrates, so I'm scared it'll mess with the cycling.

Well white usually does mean base rock, I'm not sure on the algae. Never dealt with the stuff, but since it does eat trates I wouldn't just for the sake of knowing the cycles over.

Okay. So don't expect anything "pretty" when I have pictures. It looks sad.... Lol. The water parameters are the same ammonia 8.0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 I expect it would take a bit for anything to change. And the guy at the store told me what the rocks name was, I just forgot. It was dry rock though.

Oh I also forgot to mention a couple changes, I'm getting a new filter, this small world Penn plax needs a replacement every week! And it barely cleans the tank. Also I'm going to culture Copepods in a 5 gallon bucket to feed the dwarves. Found out Rotifers were too small. (to be honest I don't even know where it the idea to feed them that) I'm installing a circular light on the top of the bucket, there will also be sand and rock inside. *Also I'm fairly certain there are Copepods in my tank already! I see thousands of little white things jumping around they look like crumbs.

iDreamInSaltwater said:
Probably something worthless. Like it's fiji or tonga rock or something

Yeah I guess. He did say it takes a little while for this type of rock to become live though.

I know! The sand wasn't live or anything. I think I have created life...lol but I don't know how this happened. Whatever, a tasty snack for the future dwarves!

Yeah I know. -__- hoping I can find someone with established filter media. The place went to didn't have it.
If someone's reading this and has a used filter cartridge or something, P.M me! I'll pay you a couple bucks, and pay for shipping!

Going to mix some SW tonight, do a 40-50% PWC in the morning. Determined to get my ammonia down. Also going to get out the small (very small) chunks of shrimp that might be adding to the ammonia) Going to look around for something to stir the water up for me. It's so annoying doing it by hand. Don't think I have anything right now, except a small submersible water pump that doesn't do well with mixing. I'll check in my garage and my basement. Will several air stones do anything? :/

That power filter was messed up. Using that mini submersible. :/. I hope it does something. Tomorrow I'll pick up a better filter instead of ordering it, and I'll get something to move that water when mixing salt.

The mini submersible did a better job than I thought. Just have to check the salinity and what not.

Back
Top Bottom