My 75G FOWLR build thread. (woot)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wait why are you going to trade in the light? Is it not strong enough for the 75G tank for the things you want? I mean, if it works fine and allows you to do what you want with it, then why bring it back or trade it in? The lights are probably the most expensive parts of SW, so IMO its better that you have them now. Dont know the whole story though, so fill me in!? ;)

XD Not the PC light, the standard florescent light that came with the tank. I can't use it (single tube crappy FW light..) so I might as well try to get some money (or salt) for it. :D

At some point, I'm going to the LFS to see if I can trade in that light for some sand or salt. My thinking was to get the salt first, make the water salty, then add the sand and remove excess water.

Sound good to everyone?
This sounds a little backwards. You will end up causing a sandstorm and will be fighting cloudy water for days.

after reading most of the post, I think I should as my parents to buy me something LOL. they never do anything for my tank, except feed my puffers when I went to vacation XD
hey partypa show me your sump and the pipes please, I m gonna build my pipes in a few days when my overflow and return pump arrive. I need some ideassssss.
XP

(forgot to do multi quote again sorry lol!)

I've bought everything for my tank so far with my own money (Ok maybe a few dollars from the parents, but nothing crazy)

I'll post pictures of my new sump layout. Mainly just the vent "T" I put in to stop the gurgles. I would recommend getting flex hose for your drain line, rigid pipe looks nice but it's not good at being quiet. Also get flex hose for your return line, because the less bends in the pipe the greater the water flow.

Yes, and you could put a layer of newspaper on top of the sand to prevent a major stir up.
By salt, I hope you mean saltwater and not just adding the dry salt to the tank?

Yes, and you could put a layer of newspaper on top of the sand to prevent a major stir up.
By salt, I hope you mean saltwater and not just adding the dry salt to the tank?

Well, the tank is already full of water.. can I not just mix it in the tank? There's nothing else in there but water and a little dust lol.

Is it full of RO water? For the first fill before cycling, I guess it would be okay. The reason to mix before is to get into a routine of mixing the water to the correct SG. Since the water is already in it does not matter which is first. ;)

Is it full of RO water? For the first fill before cycling, I guess it would be okay. The reason to mix before is to get into a routine of mixing the water to the correct SG. Since the water is already in it does not matter which is first. ;)

Don't have an RO unit.. (refrain from saying I need one, I know I do.)

It's just tap water that's had time to "settle out" so to speak. I saw a video of a guy that filled the tank with (carbon filtered) tap water, added salt to the tank, let it mix for a few days, then added LR and sand and so far the tank looks pretty good to me.

Yeah, an old saying is "All roads lead to China". XD
Have fun and keep us posted. I would like to see your tank in a few months. Should be Awsome by then...

Yeah, an old saying is "All roads lead to China". XD
Have fun and keep us posted. I would like to see your tank in a few months. Should be Awsome by then...

I hope it's not just water and emptyness in the next few months! :(

Don't have an RO unit.. (refrain from saying I need one, I know I do.)

It's just tap water that's had time to "settle out" so to speak. I saw a video of a guy that filled the tank with (carbon filtered) tap water, added salt to the tank, let it mix for a few days, then added LR and sand and so far the tank looks pretty good to me.

thats how i set up my first salewater tank.

Some areas have really junk water...High in nitrates and PO3 and then they find themselfs playing catch up while fighting hair algae and cyano outbreaks. If your water is not half bad it should be okay. As a general rule I have to layout the textbook way of setting a tank up. We all know that more then likely most of us will not have all or need all the items for a "proper" setup. That's what makes reefing so much fun...so many ways to do the same thing. XD

Some areas have really junk water...High in nitrates and PO3 and then they find themselfs playing catch up while fighting hair algae and cyano outbreaks. If your water is not half bad it should be okay. As a general rule I have to layout the textbook way of setting a tank up. We all know that more then likely most of us will not have all or need all the items for a "proper" setup. That's what makes reefing so much fun...so many ways to do the same thing. XD

+1.
We're dealing with some cyano even though we use RO/DI and have a lot of flow. It's best to keep tap water out of the system IMO. Of course, you can always use phosphate remover or other chemical media to remove some of the bad stuff. :)

As one aquarist once said "there's the right way, the wrong way, and the other way."

xD

I'll see what happens, I plan to get phosban and some sort of nitrate absorbing thing..

Update:

I GOT SAND! :D

lol not too happy about it, but still. The guy at the store was cool but the manager would only give me 30 bucks for my light. It's brand new in box!! >_<

Oh well, 30 bucks is 30 bucks.

I'll get some pics up later.

Eh, like I said, not too happy but somethings better than nothing. lol its a 40lb bag of "live" sand. It was actually cheaper/lb than dry aragonite. (figure that out o_O)

I'll probably get another 20lbs from Petsmart when I get a coupon.

I'm not sure if I should put the sand in, seeing as it has "bacteria" that only live in salt water.. xD It looks like dry sand to me though. Anyone have any thoughts? Should I just wait till I get salt?

I just ask because I don't really see it as being "live" sand, so it shouldn't really matter. lol

Thats what I asked them too, they said its still live sand, its still have bacteria in it.
don't kill them LOL
doesn't hurt u just put aside and wait for the salt, but it will hurt u if u pay $40 for live sand but kill the bacteria.
rolf~ I will share some salt if u live close to me LOL

Back
Top Bottom