My cory cats are dying :(help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The mollies and cory are relatively new mollies weren't really mine.though

Sent from my C6606 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The deaths started happening when I added the cories which was sometime last week it wasn't until I.added the 2nd batch that they stated dying

I started with 4 I was told they like to be in large groups so I bought about 6 7 more

I had one baby bumblebee die too

So have all the cories who have died from been from the same batch? Or, from different batches? Did they all come from the same store? How many have died? What symptoms happened. I know you said a few, but we really need complete information to be able to accurately help. That is why I asked for everything listed out concisely. :)

Okay so two of the juli cories died after violently spinning like crazy one cory died with a bloody face the mollies usually just sit at the bottom before they kick the bucket the bumblebee I'm not sure in just found him dead same for my pants cory yesterday one of the albino cories were spiraling like crazy but it stopped it happened again today but that was because I spooked him by touching him with the net they came from petco and petsmart I'm not actually sure actually I have some.bronze cories I got from.petsmart those haven't died at all its.only the cories from.petco that are dying but the mollies were from petsmart

The spinning makes it sounds like you got some fish with whirling disease. It is a parasitic infection that infects the brain and causes the fish to spin in circles and then they die. Another symptom is red patches (ie, a bloody looking face on your cory).
FishProfiles.com - Whirling disease
Does that sound like an option? It is contageous and the other fish in the tank that died may have gotten it, or may have died as a result of the high nitrates coupled with the fact that parasites are now present.
This is conjecture at this point, but it makes the most sense that I can think of.

I've only seen two die after spinning what about the others the mollies just start with swimming problems and die

Should I do a large water change again

I don't know what you mean by swimming problems entirely, but I just explained what could be happening to your mollies. Either way, I think you have either a parasitic or bacterial infection. My vote is parasitic.
Yes, you need to keep doing large water changes. You nitrates are too high and it might be complicating matters.

So 50% everyday or.every other day?
Should I use any medication like melafix or something

When they swim.by the filter they get blown away and they swim.vertically at times the cories are the ones that spin

I would try treating for parasites with something like API General Cure, or something similar with metronidazole in it. The fish who already have it may die, but you don't want other fish to get it. That is important.
If you want to do a combo with that and also use an antibiotic, you could do that too to cover your bases.
The water changes need to be done every day at least until you get your nitrates back down to like 20 or less. You can do like 60% or more even, but 80 is high. Like I said, I have seen multiple situations where mollies sort of withered away in nitrates at 60-80. So, I think that is part of your molly problem.

They have antibiotics for.fish?

Should I feed during this process?

Yes, you should feed. Yes, they have antibiotics for fish. They are very common, that is melafix markets itself as (though it is a poor one). What did you think it was? lol.

Lmao Idk I was thinking about stuff.like.penicillin

Lmao Idk I was thinking about stuff.like.penicillin

Lol, they make that for fish. It is not that common though. Usually you see some fish specific ones, or else tetracycline. Tetracycline was what I would advise if you wanted to do an antibiotic. Though, it can be tough on fish and I would wait to make sure that you need it before using it. Clean water has vast benefits in the fish healing process, so I like to avoid meds until I know I need them. The anti-parasite I suggested isn't too bad for them, could help the situation, and seems warranted. Something clearly came into your tank at some point. Hopefully we can help you get it taken care of. :)

I'm not saying your fish have VHS, but I recently bought false julii cory with VHS. I bought them Aug. 19th and they were just received at fish store.

I 1st saw a kind of big patch of pinkish coloration behind their front fins. Then, they sat on the bottom of the tank unless disturbed. I don't think they did any whirling. In about 36 hrs they went from normal to dead with big hemoragic patches like where a human's lungs would be. If it is VHS, it's a virus with no treatment and no cure (at present).

If you start observing what look like hemoraging patches on the dead fish. Then, I would suspect VHS and recommend euthanize all the rest and wait more than 14 days before adding living things to the aquarium. The virus dies after 14 days without a host.

As for coulmaris treatment. It is gram negative. So any antibiotic that kills gram negative will work. If you still have any cory or cat fish do not use salt. If you use an antibiotic make sure you remove the carbon in your filter.

Here is a good page on Coulmaris that suggests possible treatments:
http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html

Note: coulmaris can live for 32 days without a host.

BTW. antibiotics will mess up your beneficial bacteria. You will need to monitor all your water parameters daily.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Would seachem.prime be better or.stress coat I actually want to avoid any medication for now and just do the water changes and see how that works if not.I will try the medications

Back
Top Bottom