My cory cats are dying :(help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi...I don't have much to contribute but wish you the best. I had a near identical situation last month. I added four albino corys to my tank and two months later I had lost 11 fish. I couldn't tell what it was because some corys had paled, some had wounds or hemmorhaging, lost barbels and their mouth degraded, and some had no symptoms at all. It also wiped out my swordtails. I hope you can keep the remaining fish. I kept doing water changes and lots of cleaning and eventually fish stopped dying but I have no clue what happened. There's not much around where I am in the way of meds.

Well it's been three days.and.I haven't lost a fish I.actually found a surviving baby bumblebee catfish :D and a dwarf frog I forgot I had lol...
So I did a water change for my cichlid tank and my red zebra started swimming circles is that normal?

Sent from my C6606 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd post a video but Idk how to do that here

If you used any common equipment, then I would medicate both tanks just so as not to have the same problem there.

(Friend of Bill W., One day at a time)

Is it too soon to add more cories the last surviving cory looks a bit depressed

I would QT any new ones first if you can, but, I would add more when you can... they like to hang out together... :)

Let's wait for someone else to reply too, but, that's my idea. He may be really lonely by himself :(

That's what I.was thinking.but I don't have a quartine tank atm

What do I do when.I quartine do I just place them there and.wait

Hrrmm.. I am not really too knowledgeable on the subject at the moment, but I am currently quarantining my pygmy catfish in a 5g (only because they are pygmys, otherwise I'd recommend a 10g minimum) and treating them with melafix and pimafix at HALF dose for a week (half dose because they are catfish and catfish are really sensitive to my understanding and shouldn't have full doses) as a preventative measure. They were bought from tanks with a dead fish, so it is a preventative but yeah. I bought 5 and there was a dead fish. I bought 2 more 3 days later, and, there was another dead fish. ::Sigh:: They seem fine, though :) It's just a preventative. Also of course keep a close watch on them/eye on them to make sure they don't have any physical symptoms of anything either... That's what we are doing.

I don't know if you have a betta, but, never ever never use melafix on a betta. It will hurt their labyrinth organ.

How.long would you quartine for?

To clarify, dead fish in the tank with them at the store. My fish have not died, thank goodness!

I QT at least 4, preferably 6 weeks. I had 4 emerald cory done with QT when I bought the sick (VHS) false julii.

2 of the emeralds were moved to the big tank and 2 just waiting to go.

But, b/c I might have shared something with the sick false julii, the 2 emeralds are stuck in QT until Halloween. (6 wks)

If you are still medicating your tank... Idk.... It's kind of different. Maybe do the primafix/melafix as suggested for prescribed time and then move the new guys and continue the kanaplex a little bit longer.

Good water parameters is the highest priority whatever you decide.

I QT at least 4, preferably 6 weeks. I had 4 emerald cory done with QT when I bought the sick (VHS) false julii.

But, b/c I might have shared something with the sick false julii, the 2 emeralds are stuck in QT until Halloween. (6 wks)

If you are still medicating your tank... Idk.... It's kind of different. Maybe do the primafix/melafix as suggested for prescribed time and then move the new guys and continue the kanaplex a little bit longer.

Just wondering, how long did you have the false julii before the vhs showed up? :(

How.long would you quartine for?

I would quarenteen everything for 2 weeks. First week is Methylene blue and Terramycin antibiotic feed time. Second week is clean water observing them time. Course i raise guppies, and im not a very patient person. I remember this thread from a long time ago, but unfortunately i hit post before reading it all, let me re read it and see if you had any sucess, this lady knows her cories, i dont like the dang things, but im interested because i never seen a cory catfish belly like that before.

Okay so re read the last few pages, you should be fine with the primafix/kanaplex. But be careful not to overdose with the kanaplex, it can cause liver/kidney failure. Thats why i always go back to my oxytetracycline, its cheap, effective, and dosent cause the damage to organs that kanamycin can. But it does work very well. You don't really need to add it to the main tanks if your gonna Q them, dosing antibiotics in empty tank full of water does nothing, thats what antimicrobials are for. (especially that stuff is so expensive)

Back
Top Bottom