My cycling process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JimmyA said:
Well, I was monkeying around with my tank at day 34 or 35 and changed some water and on day 36 was cycled, but you are right, probably doesn't make any difference at this point. Give it more time. Took me 36 days with my seeded sponge!

Reading that I think I will change some water Monday, ill give it a few more days first.

Day 36
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm :( when will I see blue?!?!
Nitrate 5.0 - 10ppm
Gonna go insane if I keep seein the purple tube lol

Another big pwc wouldn't hurt. We tried to let it ride for a while to see if it dropped on it's own. I think it's time to give it a little kick in the butt.

eco23 said:
Another big pwc wouldn't hurt. We tried to let it ride for a while to see if it dropped on it's own. I think it's time to give it a little kick in the butt.

Yeah was thinking about jimmy's comment last night and I suppose it couldn't hurt, I'll do a 90% wc tomorrow. And a kick in the butt is an understatement I'm gonna go to town on this tank if it don't start acting right, sledge hammers at the ready hahaha

Day 37!! Half hour after 90% water change
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 2.0-5.0ppm

JimmyA said:
Hang in there! Do you have any algae yet?

None that I can see, I was keeping the lights off throughout the cycle up until last weekend when I started putting them on 4hours a day cause I put some live plants in the tank.

Oh, I see. Just asked because I kept my lights on because I had plants and started to get algae towards the end of my cycle.

JimmyA said:
Oh, I see. Just asked because I kept my lights on because I had plants and started to get algae towards the end of my cycle.

Yeah I had fake plants in at first but didn't like the look of them so went out and got some live ones, makes it look alot better IMO.

Day 38!
Ph 7.6
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm :(
Nitrate 20-40ppm
I'm trying not 2 but getting really frustrated :\

Well I would do a 30% water change and then dose ammonia to 2 ppm and wait. It will cycle. You are currently right at the average cycle time. Just my opinion.

JimmyA said:
Well I would do a 30% water change and then dose ammonia to 2 ppm and wait. It will cycle. You are currently right at the average cycle time. Just my opinion.

I done a 90% wc yesterday aswell should I still do another one??

Chris22 said:
I done a 90% wc yesterday aswell should I still do another one??

Nope, just wait it out. It'll happen soon, and it happens fast...you've just got stubborn bacteria, lol.

If it's a lot of trouble no, but next time you dose ammonia, I'd dose it at 2 ppm rather than 4ppm.

You should be real close. I was where you are at one time. Just relax and wait it out.

eco23 said:
Nope, just wait it out. It'll happen soon, and it happens fast...you've just got stubborn bacteria, lol.

Ok will do, really hope I'm only a day or two away, I want fish lol. And Stubborn is bein polite lol

JimmyA said:
You should be real close. I was where you are at one time. Just relax and wait it out.

I really hope so. Relaxing is not one of my strong points lol.

Chris22 said:
I really hope so. Relaxing is not one of my strong points lol.

If I can survive it...I'm sure you'll be alright, lol. The first time I did a fishless cycle I got so caught up in it that I literally forgot fish were eventually going to be in the tank. I celebrated when the no2 dropped...and I realized I needed to start researching fish because I had no idea what I was adding, haha. It really is funny how exciting / heart breaking / stressful / rewarding an empty tank can be :)

eco23 said:
If I can survive it...I'm sure you'll be alright, lol. The first time I did a fishless cycle I got so caught up in it that I literally forgot fish were eventually going to be in the tank. I celebrated when the no2 dropped...and I realized I needed to start researching fish because I had no idea what I was adding, haha. It really is funny how exciting / heart breaking / stressful / rewarding an empty tank can be :)

Lol, I got no chance of forgetting fish are going in with my gf chewing my ear off everyday about them lol. And u certainly go thru the emotions when cycling haha

Yeah, I couldn't wait to cycle. Glad it finally happened. I was at the same point you are and then one time I tested nitrites and instead of purple, they were blue - you have to wait about 5 min though! Are you sending out invitations for steak when you cycle?

Back
Top Bottom