My first planted tank - don't laugh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, never.. it's a learning process, this is how we learn! I had a sponge filter on my first planted tank too! You have very little water flow in there.. stag horn loves these types environments. I'd suggest throwing an ac 50 on there and losing the sponge filter all together..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I remember having discussions with others here about this topic:
"If no CO2 is being introduced (pressurized or DIY) then are there any negative benefits in aerating the water?"
The amount of CO2 in the water should in equilibrium with the air around the tank. The plants themselves will create a CO2 debt in the water via photosynthesis. Surface agitation will only help achieve equilibrium (CO2 moves from air to water). Surface agitation will drive out CO2 from the water if there is an excess of it. That's my understanding of it. Also to add, the amount of CO2 in the tank water is pretty low to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I remember having discussions with others here about this topic:
"If no CO2 is being introduced (pressurized or DIY) then are there any negative benefits in aerating the water?"
The amount of CO2 in the water should in equilibrium with the air around the tank. The plants themselves will create a CO2 debt in the water via photosynthesis. Surface agitation will only help achieve equilibrium (CO2 moves from air to water). Surface agitation will drive out CO2 from the water if there is an excess of it. That's my understanding of it. Also to add, the amount of CO2 in the tank water is pretty low to begin with.

I've read a few threads discussing the topic. End all.. dedicated planted tanks don't seem to have an air source. I'm not on the science behind it, just know what I've read and what's worked for others. I tend to follow the herd on matters such as this;) using kitty litter for substrate?? Not so much..

Then dose glut I say! It worked for Rivercats in her beautiful 220g Dutch tank.

Why oh why. I have an unopened AC50 but I was saving it for the new build.
The tube is only two inches from the surface, could I build it up above the water level so the water just pours out the top instead of making bubbles? Wouldn't that achieve the same kind of effect as a filter outflow kinda?

Also, if what Fresh says is true:
CO2 in water is in equilibrium with the atmosphere and off gasses or intakes through agitation as needed.
Cigarette smoke contains 200x concentration of CO2 as normal atmospheric conditions.
So, smoking in my house should be boosting CO2 levels and preventing this algae...right???
Haha

Smoking is bad!!! You should quit;) think of all the money you'd have to throw in the tank.. 2 packs is an ac 70 for the new build haha

Two packs yeah right. They're like what, $50? I roll my own so I only spend that in like a month. Still....I know.
Anyways, I found a mystery plant in the tank today! Any idea what it is?

Shrimp love the bacopa:

And I have lots of little tiny shrimp babies :)
Some pics before I pulled out a ton of the floating stuff and trimmed up:

Look how tall that mauritania is! (baby shrimp in the pic too)

And this was the timeout tank for the BBA covered plants, got some extra little cuttings in there too. I have a spare filter for that one as well....trying my best not to stock it in case I need a spare for anything.

I only run sponge filters in my shrimp tanks, but my plants are pretty low tech.

If you do use the AC make sure to do something about the intake, shrimplets will get sucked away....

Regarding aeration (really surface agitation) and CO2:

Since you're not injecting CO2, the idea would be to use them to replenish co2, instead of using them in an opposite way to keep co2 from creeping too high, which is not a concern unless you're injecting co2. So in your case adding more surface agitation via air pumps WILL actually help replenish co2 in the water when the plants are using it up. But, but, BUT... keep in mind that at night the plants will release co2 instead of oxygen. Ideally, you want to keep this "extra" co2 in the water.. so you do this by turning bubblers OFF at night, allowing the co2 to build up in the water, hopefully to a higher-than-equilibrium level. Then in the morning at lights on, the plants can use this extra co2. At some point, co2 concentration will return to equilibrium as the plants use it up and as it is exchanged at the surface.. this is when you want to turn the bubblers back on (probably a couple hours after lights-on, but I'm not exactly sure)

Hopefully this makes sense.. it can be confusing.

Ya it makes sense...thank you!
Brooks - can you check out the last round of pics and ID that mystery plant for me please? It either came from you or Fresh :)

Could be my rotala rotundifolia but it looks a little different..

Ok cool thanks. It just appeared out of nowhere stuck in the water lettuce. So I guess there was a survivor :)

Got some API CO2 Booster stuff don't know if it's junk haven't had time to get anything else yet.
Maybe another auction next Sunday oh boy!

It's decent stuff. Pretty much the same thing as Seachem Flourosh Excel.

You know what's really good (and cheap)? Buy yourself a one gallon jug of Metricide 14. It's twice the strength, but it's a lot more cost effective ($30 for a gallon).

It's decent stuff. Pretty much the same thing as Seachem Flourosh Excel.

You know what's really good (and cheap)? Buy yourself a one gallon jug of Metricide 14. It's twice the strength, but it's a lot more cost effective ($30 for a gallon).

1 gallon of Metricide 14 is equivalent to 7.5 bottles (500 mL) of Excel volume wise, and is equivalent to 15 bottles of Excel strength wise. It's a good deal.

Where do you get it locally? I'm limited to my choices around here, if I have to order online I will I just haven't had time to look at all :( busy bee over here!

Back
Top Bottom