My first planted tank - don't laugh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok thanks Fresh. I was going to dump all of my tax return into my 529 for school but I'm thinking I need to just get some fish goodies to celebrate being halfway done with school and somehow keeping a 4.0 GPA w00t! So that will be on my list.
I also need two heaters and probably a spare air pump, a filter, maybe a backup filter, sweet lights, PPS pro, the list goes on :)

Ok thanks Fresh. I was going to dump all of my tax return into my 529 for school but I'm thinking I need to just get some fish goodies to celebrate being halfway done with school and somehow keeping a 4.0 GPA w00t! So that will be on my list.
I also need two heaters and probably a spare air pump, a filter, maybe a backup filter, sweet lights, PPS pro, the list goes on :)

Do what I always do with my refund: 50% on my luxuries, and 50% towards being an "adult", lol. Should give you a nice little boost towards the new gear!

And having a 4.0? Pretty sweet!!

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

Being an adult is way too expensive. I'll have to split more like 15/85...need $7000 to finish up and that's with employer reimbursement...yikes! I guess it's my own fault for refusing to have loans, but I don't want that over my head.
Anyway sorry I got off topic. I have another pregnant shrimp! I have to have like 100 in there now.

Being an adult is way too expensive. I'll have to split more like 15/85...need $7000 to finish up and that's with employer reimbursement...yikes! I guess it's my own fault for refusing to have loans, but I don't want that over my head.
Anyway sorry I got off topic. I have another pregnant shrimp! I have to have like 100 in there now.

Congrats on both the GPA and the shrimp (y)

Woo-hoo! Good job with the school work and lack of school loan. Hard to do.
Taxes not so good for me this year :( will be mailing a check on 4/14.
I scrolled up a bit and don't know what the mystery plant is. But I did spot some bladderwort in there. It is the stringy plant with small pods. Those are used for capturing micro organisms. It is a harmless but invasive plant. Probably came from me. It has a cousin called Utricularia graminifolia (UG) that makes a wonderful carpet in a high tech tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! I'll check it out. That bladderwort is gone I didn't know what it was and it got stuck on absolutely everything and drove me crazy haha. I'm having serious duckweed problems ahh.

Thanks! I'll check it out. That bladderwort is gone I didn't know what it was and it got stuck on absolutely everything and drove me crazy haha. I'm having serious duckweed problems ahh.

Good for your and sorry about that. Ask Brookster about it. The gift that keeps on giving.
I did not want to say anything about the duckweed. I figured you were growing it for the silver dollars. Or a duck.

I don't know what's worse... bladderwort or duck weed:p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't know what's worse... bladderwort or duck weed:p

I am voting duckweed on this one. At least what I've had the dw has been smaller than the bw and harder to get rid of

If only taxes were a nuisance weed... that'd be the worst plant everrrrrr.....
Mail them a check every year fresh:p Ahh the joys of being self employed..

Yah that's lame. I still owe you a dollar!
I've been throwing the duckweed in the 55. Now it's in the 20 and the 5. The 35 is the only place it hasn't gotten and it's shading the other plants. The ammania started to show it. I can't get rid of it fast enough. I also realized I totally read the flourish comp instructions wrong and have been overdosing. Could be part of the algae problem. Woops! Everything else is looking ok though I started moving trimmings into another tank :)

Update:
Down to two pygmies and two or three rasboras (haven't seen the third in two days) :(
In better news, the otos are super chubby, added the 6 Habrosus today, and I am literally drowning in RCS. I have well over 100 I can't even give them away. They have started migrating into my 5g with some plant clippings.

Update:
Down to two pygmies and two or three rasboras (haven't seen the third in two days) :(
In better news, the otos are super chubby, added the 6 Habrosus today, and I am literally drowning in RCS. I have well over 100 I can't even give them away. They have started migrating into my 5g with some plant clippings.

Hey shrimp whisperer, awesome about the RCS. When the weather improves you should have no shortage of buyers.
Can't wait to see the hasbrosus.

I'm having trouble getting rid of them. One guy wanted to buy some (I offered to sell ten for $2) but he wanted me to drop them off, almost two hours away. It's mostly younger kids short on cash and no car who want them, which is fine, except they live nowhere near me.
Shrimp whisperer lol.
I may or may not be going to an auction this weekend. If that's the case, I'll bag some up and take them with me. Where can I get bags?

Nah not allowed to use ziplock they have to be like the ones from the LFS double bagged

Nah not allowed to use ziplock they have to be like the ones from the LFS double bagged

Hit up the LFS and see if they can sell you a few.
Kordon Breather bags might be what you are looking for but not sure if you can get them in such a short period of time.

Ok back with some pic updates:

Tic tac toe:

Never ending shrimp swarm:

Really pleased with this echinodorus:

Current state of the tank:

Pics of the new habrosus and other fish. They're really bringing the tank to life. The pygmies are out playing with them and the rasboras have been visible most of the time:

Can someone tell me why the shrimp in this second pic is clear in the middle? Is it a different kind? I think it's cool to see the moss creeping up the rock :)

And that's about it. The staghorn won't abate even though I started the liquid carbon dosing.

Back
Top Bottom