My fish keep dyeing!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
huma-huma said:
not to get too far of the OT topic but i dont understand why people get so bet out of shape about a fish-in cycle. So instead of telling him to persistantly monitor the parameters and do pwc's as necessary, you want him to put the betta in a completely under-sized bowl while he cycles the main tank? the bowl is gona be uncycled too, therefore just creating twice as much work and getting absolutely nothing accomplished. Mahoney, just monitor the parameters of the water ATLEAST 1 time a day, preferably twice... and do pwc's as needed.

The betta doesn't have to be in a cycled tank. As long as he conditions the water it will be fine. Also an undersize bowl temporarily won't hurt him. Bettas can last for years in a 1 gallon, now it doesn't mean he will be there for ever.

Sorry but I disagree about testing once a day, when you are cycling you need to test at least twice a day. Specially since he has fish

but if he has 2 angels and an algae eater, theres no sense in moving 1 fish out of the tank, thats just extra unneccessary work. as for testing twice a day, thats what i do, and i completely agree, which is why i caps locked ATLEAST :) hinting that multiple testings should be done.

huma-huma said:
but if he has 2 angels and an algae eater, theres no sense in moving 1 fish out of the tank, thats just extra unneccessary work. as for testing twice a day, thats what i do, and i completely agree, which is why i caps locked ATLEAST :) hinting that multiple testings should be done.

Oops, I didnt see that. It's been a long day so far. I thought he returned all fish except the betta

Why would you do a fishin cycle with a betta when you can put the betta in a bowl and do a fishless cycle? Fishless is much less work and you'll be cycled in less time

This is incredibly flawed, and I hope no beginners will take anything from this. It reflects no knowledge of the nitrogen cycle or the nature of planted tanks.

Sorry but I disagree about testing once a day, when you are cycling you need to test at least twice a day. Specially since he has fish

This is worse. It can be discouraging to new hobbyists, and is completely unnecessary.

I'll be happy to back this up, but not in this thread.

huma-huma said:
not to get too far of the OT topic but i dont understand why people get so bet out of shape about a fish-in cycle. So instead of telling him to persistantly monitor the parameters and do pwc's as necessary, you want him to put the betta in a completely under-sized bowl while he cycles the main tank? the bowl is gona be uncycled too, therefore just creating twice as much work and getting absolutely nothing accomplished. Mahoney, just monitor the parameters of the water ATLEAST 1 time a day, preferably twice... and do pwc's as needed.

Thats what I was thinking and I was thinking since I didn't have any fish die in like 5 days the ammonia levels were low enough to add fish but I would still need to test and lower them more but I could atleast add some fish so the betta didn't think that the whole tank was his

roundar said:
This is incredibly flawed, and I hope no beginners will take anything from this. It reflects no knowledge of the nitrogen cycle or the nature of planted tanks.

This is worse. It can be discouraging to new hobbyists, and is completely unnecessary.

I'll be happy to back this up, but not in this thread.

Let me ask you what is the flaw about putting a betta in a bowl temporarily when I thought it was the only fish he had while his tank cycles?

Adding more fish will compound the problem more fish = more waste, not enough bacteria in your tank yet to handle the load. I don't think angels are hardy enough to withstand a cycle. AND earlier in the thread he WAS advised NOT to buy more fish (advice was ignored) I think someone was asking that previous.

sillygirl423 said:
Adding more fish will compound the problem more fish = more waste, not enough bacteria in your tank yet to handle the load. I don't think angels are hardy enough to withstand a cycle. AND earlier in the thread he WAS advised NOT to buy more fish (advice was ignored) I think someone was asking that previous.

Let me rephrase this Lynda and I also attempted to help him in another thread similar to this, I just hope he takes the advice people are giving him.

Let me ask you what is the flaw about putting a betta in a bowl temporarily when I thought it was the only fish he had while his tank cycles?

No reason to when the betta can just cycle the aquarium. No reason to let the betta suffer from poor water quality in a bowl when it can at least have a larger volume of water (and thus lower concentration of toxins) as the tank cycles.

If you're willing to do the necessary water changes to cycle the aquarium with the betta, that would be my suggestion. If you throw enough hornwort and/or anacharis in the aquarium and let it float, you can probably "silent cycle" the tank since the bioload of the betta is so low.

Just a question though, what about the angels? I didn't think were compatible with bettas? Or good for cycling?

Just a question though, what about the angels? I didn't think were compatible with bettas? Or good for cycling?

They aren't; I thought they were being returned. Adult angels are not suitable for a 20 gallon anyway IMO. They just grow too large.

sillygirl423 said:

That's what I said in my post. I and others advise returning the Angels. This is only a 20H tank.

I still want to know what exact Algae Eater the OP has also.

No he bought them yesterday to keep the betta from thinking he owned the tank. I can't keep saying it enough RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!! Really I'm pulling out of this thread, this guy was told numerous times in separate threads to get a kit, not to buy more fish until the tank cycled and research the fish he can have. Unfortunately he's not listened to most of what's been said.

Coursair said:
That's what I said in my post. I and others advise returning the Angels. This is only a 20H tank.

I still want to know what exact Algae Eater the OP has also.

He may not know, you know how those chain stores are.

sillygirl423 said:
No he bought them yesterday to keep the betta from thinking he owned the tank. I can't keep saying it enough RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!! Really I'm pulling out of this thread, this guy was told numerous times in separate threads to get a kit, not to buy more fish until the tank cycled and research the fish he can have. Unfortunately he's not listened to most of what's been said.

I did research and what I researched said that two angel fish could live in a 20 gallon tank and I didn't want to put the betta in the betta bowl cause I think that's cruel to the betta and since my research said that I could have to angel fish I was thinking I would get the two angel fish so the betta wouldn't think that the whole tank was his and since I didn't have any fish die in my tank for the past five days I figured that the angels would not die and I could do a fish in cycle while researching what other fish could go in my tank which I don't plan on getting anymore till atleast four more weeks probably later than that. I did my research and I got the liquid test kit so would you guys quit jumping my case I'm trying to do what's right it's not my fault what I researched was wrong and I was trying to make it better for the betta I did everything you guys told me to except I bought two fish that I thought would go in my tank while I finished the cycle which the ammonia is almost gone from the tank

I hope you people realize I'm trying my hardest to do what's best And do what you say needs to be done I did my research and was trying to make it better for the betta so if you want to continue to ridicule me for trying then I don't want to hear it
I just wanted help not to hear how big of am idiot I am. This is the first tank I have had any problems with so came here for help not continually get told how many times I messed up and how I'm such an idiot for trying. I hope no beginners come to this website for help cause all you people do is be mean to them when it's not our fault we don't know everything that has to deal with a fish tank I'm sure every single one of you had had problems and made some silly mistakes with your tanks when you first started out so remember that before you start going off on someone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom