My new 125 Gallon stock??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just purchased a used 125 gallon. I am running 2 cascade 1500 canister filters on it. Here is what I want to stock it with:

1 Tiger Oscar
1 Jaguar Cichlid
1 Green Terror

If possible 5 Silver Dollars

What do you guys think???

Good chance the Parachromis managuensis is going to cause trouble in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Good chance the Parachromis managuensis is going to cause trouble in the long run.

What do you mean by trouble???

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't think the green terror or Oscar would be able to stand up to the jag.

I don't think the green terror or Oscar would be able to stand up to the jag.

Shouldnt a six foot tank be long enough for them to have terrotories????

I agree your tank is too small for that mix of fish. Thinking about it, that is just a bad mix of big potential bullies. Jags can be beautiful fish but don't make good tankmates for other cichlids period.

Shouldnt a six foot tank be long enough for them to have terrotories????

Males commonly will grow to 16" so considering a 125g has a depth of 18" long 60" doesn't seem quite large. It's quite common for the larger fish to claim the entire tank which will not allow tankmates. I will add that not all managuensis are hyper aggressive as I've had some pretty docile males and some the opposite. I had one fish that would bang the glass and try to kill me if I was wearing a red shirt, and only red!

I've had a pair of Oscars in that sized tank and the bioload is the pair is quite heavy and required 50% water changes every 4-5 days to keeo the nitrate concentration below 20ppm. So three fish of that size will be quite the task to keep up with.

Back
Top Bottom