My new 220 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FTMMWS said:
Good article ..thanks for sharing
I have always fed my tank 3-4 times a day,everyday..
The idea of feeding less nutritious foods is interesting ..

I do as well with frozen and more than that with seaweed. I get what they are saying about the less nutrition multiple times a day. Spread out the vitamins throughout the day rather than taking them all at once.

I agree, great article. And it does really make sense, where we wouldn't see the nutrient overload in our systems, if the food weren't so, for lack of a better term, nutritious. Allowing for more constant feedings. I've always fed a lot, according to most standards, feeling that my system and maintenance could handle it. And honestly, I can't remember my last outbreak of ich.....knock on wood. With minor exception my corals have always done really well too.
Reading all the problems constantly on this site, I truly feel lucky how my salt career has gone.
I will also start feeding my coral, every other feeding, at lights out.
Again, really enlightening article!!

Good timing Jodi, just ordered my Mag. Test kit on Thur. I've never tested it in 8 years, and was thinking my levels could be unbalanced.
When I first set up my 180, I thought by having a new refugium, that I really didn't need to do pwc's , if I supplemented. I did 2 changes in the first year, boy was I wrong! It never really got that bad, with only 4 fish, but I've since (4 months ago) went back to pwc's every week, trying to get the tank back to where it should be. This extended period of no pwc's is why I'm thinking that my levels have become unbalanced. Not sure though without a test kit.
I always have buffed and added Ca, but never considered what that was doing to other levels( just adding Ca.)
My problem with my Hydnophora is what got me to believe that maybe I'm unbalanced. It thrived for a year and took a turn for the worst.
I also ordered my first BRS 2-part on Thur. , mainly for the jugs and droppers, and will then be making my own. ccCapt. Helped me with the link to make your own, and seems like an economical, smart way to supplement Ca., Alk., and Mg. I will be acquiring the nec. parts for this as I use up the BRS 2-part.
Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post, but thanks for the article, very relevant to me right now!!

Flreefer said:
Good timing Jodi, just ordered my Mag. Test kit on Thur. I've never tested it in 8 years, and was thinking my levels could be unbalanced.
When I first set up my 180, I thought by having a new refugium, that I really didn't need to do pwc's , if I supplemented. I did 2 changes in the first year, boy was I wrong! It never really got that bad, with only 4 fish, but I've since (4 months ago) went back to pwc's every week, trying to get the tank back to where it should be. This extended period of no pwc's is why I'm thinking that my levels have become unbalanced. Not sure though without a test kit.
I always have buffed and added Ca, but never considered what that was doing to other levels( just adding Ca.)
My problem with my Hydnophora is what got me to believe that maybe I'm unbalanced. It thrived for a year and took a turn for the worst.
I also ordered my first BRS 2-part on Thur. , mainly for the jugs and droppers, and will then be making my own. ccCapt. Helped me with the link to make your own, and seems like an economical, smart way to supplement Ca., Alk., and Mg. I will be acquiring the nec. parts for this as I use up the BRS 2-part.
Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post, but thanks for the article, very relevant to me right now!!

Can I get that link? Lol

Hey Jodi, I'm somewhat technologically illiterate, and don't know how to add a link, but if you look in the Saltwater Aquaria portion of the site, it's under the heading BRS 2-part, started by me. It's a couple days old.
Cc also sent a link for suppliers of the materials that may be hard for us to find in Fla. Cc has really helped me out, and is pleasant with his advice, not arrogant. Guys had a marine tank for 25 years!!
Enjoy. :)

Yup, that's the link. Still check out the thread though, it's also got a link for a supplier of the materials, shipped. Something field supply, can't remember exactly.

Some fun shots of the basket star at night...

img_1967679_0_2dd3a6a1ace5119131ce4214796135f1.jpg

img_1967679_1_39b9e67e353fad850a203f8e0b5c6b5a.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa378/jlsardina/cd76d2cc.mp4

Cool Basket Jodi, don't see that too often!
What did you think of the recipe? Seems pretty straight forward, and def cheaper, which always helps.

ccCapt turned me on to the mag mix months ago and it worked very well. I have since went to store bought just because it is easier but may switch back one day. The key is keeping them all in check. If one gets out of hand you will have a tough time getting them back to balanced.

Ok. I have to figure out how to Bengal proof my tank! My birthday present today was picking out a Bengal!!! Yay! Any advice???

Jlsardina said:
Ok. I have to figure out how to Bengal proof my tank! My birthday present today was picking out a Bengal!!! Yay! Any advice???

Very cool! I dont want to get off topic, so i pm'd you

Back
Top Bottom