My new betta floats at the top of the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shoulin_KOTU

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got a beautiful new betta yesterday and he is now in a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and a heater. The tank is NOT cycled as it was given to me by a friend and didn't have time to. He sorta just chills at the top and when he swims down he kinfa floats back up. Is this normal, is he constipated? Please help really don't want to lose him :(

Pretty hard to know - could be just not used to a larger tank (I assume he was in a cup at store). How did you acclimitise him into tank?

Since tank is not cycled, also water tests are going to be needed eg ammonia.

Great news the tank has a heater and filter.

The fish in the cups or other tiny home, do not get much exercise so will need time to build up strength. Try feeding a couple cooked inside of green peas. They will help with constipation, and if that helps too good.

There are Betta logs which the fish like (they really last only around a year before starting to degrade and need replacing). Or if you have a plant rated light for the tank, try stem plants that just loosely hang around the top of the tank so the Betta can lay in the stems. They like to do that. ;)

I have a Beta that went through the same thing . Buy a moss ball and add a leafy plant for him t5o sleep in and he will be fine

The fish in the cups or other tiny home, do not get much exercise so will need time to build up strength. Try feeding a couple cooked inside of green peas. They will help with constipation, and if that helps too good.

There are Betta logs which the fish like (they really last only around a year before starting to degrade and need replacing). Or if you have a plant rated light for the tank, try stem plants that just loosely hang around the top of the tank so the Betta can lay in the stems. They like to do that. ;)

Oh wow - I looked up betta logs and tempted to try one or two.

If anyone does get the Betta log, feel around on the inside of it just in case there is any sharp jags. I have read report of someone finding a sharp spot, you can use a file or coarse fingernail file to smooth it.

I'll try to post pics of him later he's really pretty, it's hard to see in pictures but he has blue eyes!

Back
Top Bottom