My OB peacock jumped out of my tank and died!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Dog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I’m very very frustrated! My OB peacock jumped out of my tank and died. Has anyone else had this happen to them? I have a glass lid on at all times. Any ideas to keep this from happening?

Clear tape or duct tape.

Add plastic pieces in which snap onto the glass lids cut carefully to fill in gaps.

I have lost fish in jumping situations. Even through impossibly tiny holes which didn't see able to fit the size fish jumping out.

Once had a fish able to jump into the filter 3 times (could have been more as I suspect he flopped back out the outflow) up through the out flow on a HOB filter. I day him do it once, couldn't believe it! Added a spade shaped "square" of bulk filter pad to block the gap between the glass part and the outflow water. Had a Guppy able to jump over the top of my Spec V barrier to the filter compartment with perfect aim several times.

Sorry to hear that the fish died.

So what is the reason the fish jumped?

Often it is to find food, get away from a predator or bully fish, or the water parameters are not ideal for the fish, or due to being startled by some thing in the tank usually but could be kids banging on the tank or loud noises or banging around or vibrations as well. Whatever might cause a stress or startle.

What were the tank parameters, or what do you think caused it to jump?

Back
Top Bottom