My Plecosamus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember, you do not need an algae eater. A sponge on a stick works just as well if not much better than any algae eating creature. However, there are plenty of pretty snails you could get that would keep your tank glass cleaner. Nerites don't breed in freshwater and come in many nice varieties. Mystery snails are really cool looking and you need two of them to make more, same with ramshorns. Also, I've found guppies are really good at eating snail eggs and freshly hatched snails, so odds are you won't see much of a population bloom. I had about 20 ramshorns breeding like nuts, laying eggs everywhere, and I never saw more than a couple baby snails until I moved the guppies out of their tank. Unfortunately a 10 gallon doesn't leave you with many options.

Alyxx said:
Remember, you do not need an algae eater. A sponge on a stick works just as well if not much better than any algae eating creature. However, there are plenty of pretty snails you could get that would keep your tank glass cleaner. Nerites don't breed in freshwater and come in many nice varieties. Mystery snails are really cool looking and you need two of them to make more, same with ramshorns. Also, I've found guppies are really good at eating snail eggs and freshly hatched snails, so odds are you won't see much of a population bloom. I had about 20 ramshorns breeding like nuts, laying eggs everywhere, and I never saw more than a couple baby snails until I moved the guppies out of their tank. Unfortunately a 10 gallon doesn't leave you with many options.

Im not sure if OP likes the fact that plecos eat algae, or he/she just likes plecos in general! I agree with this if its the former.

If the later..get a 30 gallon and a BN pleco!:)

Simply Elegant Aquatics
2758 N Campbell Ave Tucson, AZ 85719
(520) 777-3608

Desert Pet Center
4810 E 22nd St Tucson, AZ 85711
(520) 745-5158

Cichlid Lovers Tropical Fish
2126 S Miramonte Stravanue Tucson, AZ 85713
(520) 881-6662

I don't like snails...I'm sorry! I really want a pleco! Something with a genetic mutation that keeps it little! A rare breed! Anything! Just, please stop with the snails! I really don't want one, I'm sorry!

What do BN and OP stand for? No one I ever met has used this lingo before :p

Siva, are those mom&pop shops or what? *confused*

Seem to be.

BN = bristlenose
OP = original post/poster

Last edited:
I have a 4-5" clown pleco in my 67g. And i must say that if i had gotten him to eat algea i would be quite disappointed! If all you can currently fit is a 10g then i would recommend getting 2-3 Nerite snails, for snails they're actually pretty cool.

Edit: Scratch the snail idea :p

alia258 said:
I don't like snails...I'm sorry! I really want a pleco! Something with a genetic mutation that keeps it little! A rare breed! Anything! Just, please stop with the snails! I really don't want one, I'm sorry!

If you're dead set on a pleco then you're looking at 30g minimum. You said you could fit a tank this size in your home correct?

You guys are so nice! I think the one who I emailed on Craig's list is going to accept my offer though! ^^ I still really want a pleco that'll fit my 10g. I'll even settle for a fish that eats algae but isn't a pleco! Just not snails!!!

Nope, sorry, in my opinion no algae eating fish work in a 10 gal.

alia258 said:
You guys are so nice! I think the one who I emailed on Craig's list is going to accept my offer though! ^^ I still really want a pleco that'll fit my 10g. I'll even settle for a fish that eats algae but isn't a pleco! Just not snails!!!

Awesome!! The guy in the craigslist link?

Otto cats are really the only thing i can think of that MIGHT fit. Lots of people wouldnt recommend them for a 10 though, because they like friends and several would be a bit much for a 10g

Then, is the shrimp a possibility? And just cuz I'm interested in breeding, are they breedable? And are they safe with my other inhabitants? (1pleco, 3guppies, 3neon tetras, 1cory) I am already breeding the guppies, this is my first time breeding fish (bred mice before, the guppy of rodents, was an accident, successful litter though, had 14 babies, offspring lasted 3 years) and shrimp might be fun! ^^

alia258 said:
Then, is the shrimp a possibility? And just cuz I'm interested in breeding, are they breedable? And are they safe with my other inhabitants? (1pleco, 3guppies, 3neon tetras, 1cory) I am already breeding the guppies, this is my first time breeding fish (bred mice before, the guppy of rodents, was an accident, successful litter though, had 14 babies, offspring lasted 3 years) and shrimp might be fun! ^^

Shrimp would work well with your tank! They breed very easily!!

Gboy66 said:
They get like 4-6" right?

I was thinking maybe ottos....

Ottos might work but IME they are super touchy to water quality, thats the only drawback i can think of.

SAE get way too big.

Oto's should be stocked in groups of atleast 3 with no more than 1 per 5 gals. They are senstive wild caught fish that often will not eat supplements. Many starve to death in small tanks. I wouldn't recommend them.

Shrimp would be a fanstastic choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom