My Severums Eggs just Hatched Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Almighty Q

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would it be best to separate the babies from my other fish? I have an empty 10gal tank I could put them in.

Probably but you'd have to go through a cycle with them that would probably kill them
Use a divider instead

What kind of cycle would they need to go through? A divider in my tank won't work real well due to the slate I have in it. The severums are being super protective towards them though and they don't seem to be eating them. Watching them today the female even picks them up in her mouth if they stray too far and puts them back with the group. The couple hundred babies have taken up residence inside a glass insulator that is in the tank.

Unfortunately my phone is acting up and I can't take any pics right now. Hopefully that will be fixed soon.

The Almighty Q said:
What kind of cycle would they need to go through? A divider in my tank won't work real well due to the slate I have in it. The severums are being super protective towards them though and they don't seem to be eating them. Watching them today the female even picks them up in her mouth if they stray too far and puts them back with the group. The couple hundred babies have taken up residence inside a glass insulator that is in the tank.

I think they meant that the 10g would need to cycle so it would have bb and it's cycling would probably kill the fish.

Ah. The 10gal is actually set up. It has been for a week or so now. I used water from my established 55gal in it to speed up things a bit

The Almighty Q said:
Ah. The 10gal is actually set up. It has been for a week or so now. I used water from my established 55gal in it to speed up things a bit

I've heard that water alone won't make much of a difference. Best thing is to cut off a piece of the 55's filter media and put it up against the filter media in the 10. I did that when I started my 55. I put 1/3 of my 5 gal fluval chi's filter pad in the filter of my 55 and it was pretty much instantly cycled. I left the piece of pad in for a few weeks to make sure the BB had grown onto the new pad.

So I have left the little wigglers in my 55gal for now and plan on transferring them to the 10 when they start to swim on their own. What should I feed them?

NLS or new life spectrum is what i would use as food, or a good staple flake and later on pellet.

They have started swimming around now and the parents are still being super protective, moving them back to the group if they stray too far. For now I think I'm gonna leave them be. I took out some and re-arranged the rocks to form a couple caves that the other fish cannot get into so that they will have places to hide

Attachments

• image-1413458261.jpg
    image-1413458261.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2176491832.jpg
    image-2176491832.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 93
I ended up transferring most of the remaining babies into the 10gal tank due to an over night population control spearheaded by the other fish in the tank. My question is, should I put the mother in the 10gal with them or will she just end up eating them as well?

They'll be fine in the 10g by themselves, i wouldn't put the mom in there anyway because it would really tank the water quality. Just do water changes every day or every other day and feed them 3-4 times a day.

They are still super tiny. There are a couple pics on the first page tho. My phone can't focus properly to get a good pic unfortunately

Wow! They are super tiny! I didn't even notice them the first time I looked at those pics. Are those orange things in the background what their eggs were or just rocks?

Back
Top Bottom