Need advice on stocking a 25gal with dwarf puffers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rayburn

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First of all: hello!

Secondly: I currently have a 10gal with two juvenile dwarf puffers. However, my roommate recently inherited a 25gal and wants to start looking for fish-- but our dorm will only allow us to run one tank at a time. I know that puffers are very aggressive and am hesitant to put them in with other fish (my roommate doesn't want more puffers), so I'm considering putting in a tank divider.

I've been lurking around puffer communities and have gotten mixed results concerning mixed-species tanks; some say that it is fine as long as the fish are all introduced at the same time and the tank is large enough to establish territories, others say that one should never have puffers in anything but a species-only tank.

Will the divider work, or will the fish get too stressed from being able to see each other? If it is a good idea, what's a good way to divide the tank? 50/50, 70/30, etc.? If it isn't a good idea, would some (fast, short-finned, non-aggressive) fish be able to live with puffers in a well-planted 25gal tank with lots of places to hide, or is that still too big of a gamble? If so, which species would you recommend?

My thanks in advance for advice.

Back
Top Bottom