Need an algae eating roommate for boB the Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wabyrd

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have boB the Betta in an eclipse 3 tank on my desk, and the algae is starting to get a little ugly and unmanageable. Would a pleco be ok with boB, or is there something else that would work better with him? This is only a 3 gallon tank and I know plecos get large (already have 4 over 8 inches long).

I would most definately agree with the Ottos. They stay very small, won't attract a beatdown from the betta, and do not damage anything that has algae, but will eradicate algae pretty well. I would search first whether Ottos should be with at least another of its own kind.. not sure if they need friends. But other than that go for that algae eater. Be aware that they are a little fragile.. so you unfortunately must take care putting them in the tank.. for either physical damage or "shock" may accur. But do not fret.. they are cheap and very helpful. I hope they are okay on your first try, once they are in and doing find... then you're set

Instead of the Ottos, the guy at the LFS suggested a Mystery Snail. For $1.99 I figured I can't go wrong with it.

I think I went wrong...
Is it easy to kill a snail? I think I did. I know that snails aren't exactly known for their speed, but I put it in the tank and I don't think it's moved. Do they lay still in fear for a day or two? It's not like there isn't plenty of algae for it to eat. It's a totally freshwater tank with NO salt added to it. How do I know if it's dead or just not moving? This is my first snail, but the guy at the LFS said that it's pretty much an issue of dumping it in the tank and letting it go at the algae.

Any thoughts?

well a couple. I used to love snails, especially the giant apple snail. They sometimes die for a number of reasons, and thats the prob, who knows how? I did learn a couple of interesting things. Unless I am wrong, mystery snails like most do not breath under water. If you ever go to the pet shop or your LFS, you'll sometimes see floating snails just bobbing away. The reason for this is that theysomehow got off the side of the tank and are being suspended because of the air they store in their shells. Some die when the "drown". They usually come up for air at night, thats when I usually see my fiance's outbreak of snails, when I get up to go get something to eat late and glance at the tank. Its like a marching army to the top. What am I trying to say about all this? The guy at your LFS may have accidently gioven you a dead snail. At petsmart, when I got my first snail, they gave me like three because they guy didn't want me coming back because of a snail never having been lived when it first enetered my tank. I guess all you can do for now is just look at your snail for about a day or two... if it doesn't move then its most likely dead. It may have come dead or was shocked when entering your tank's water. Hope it works for the best :)

I finally saw some movement. Sort of. I saw some antennas come out and move a little, but I don't know if it was just movement by current or what. I'll give him a few more days and if he isn't moving, I'm going to evict him. I don't think he was dead when I got him because I saw his antennae moving in the bag. I guess he may have been shocked by the different water. I didn't know that they were that fragile. Oh well, thanks for the thoughts Electrobes, I'll post back in a few days as to his status.

FINALLY!!! I though he might have been dead, but the snail was on the front glass of the tank when I got in today. It's alive...IT"S ALIVE!!! And to think I was about to toss him in the trash...

I guess I'm just a little too impatient.

Back
Top Bottom