Need help please! --- Green hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello uhm im new to this site and was hoping maybe someone could help me with my problem. I have a 36 gallon aquarium and i think i may have green algae hair? It looks like little fuzz and its stuck to the gravel and seems kinda hard to get it off. Ive tried everything to get it off and still no luck:( any help would be appreciated:) uhm let me know if yall need any additional information since i am new to this site and need a while getting used to it. thanks!

uhm a betta fish, an algae eater and 2 long finned tetra, i think that's what they're called and thank you!

what kkind of algae eater google Chinese algae eater and plecos if it's a pleco it may need to be rehomoed so. as for the algae can you post a pic. im not aware of a fw algae that sounds like that

Green hair algae is just normal, you're lucky that you don't have any of the gross kinds! One thing you can do to prevent algae buildup is to keep your tank lights on for fewer hours. How many hours are they on per day?

Thanks, that helps a lot. Look into a bristlenose pleco, and 5 more of the tetras, as they school. You can add all them at once, but how long has the tank been set up?

Rosenweiss said:
Green hair algae is just normal, you're lucky that you don't have any of the gross kinds! One thing you can do to prevent algae buildup is to keep your tank lights on for fewer hours. How many hours are they on per day?

i thought hair algae was a sw only algae?

Thanks, that helps a lot. Look into a bristlenose pleco, and 5 more of the tetras, as they school. You can add all them at once, but how long has the tank been set up?

I know schooling is generally a good idea, but what kind of longfin tetra is it? If it's a longfin black or white skirt, I'd be wary about adding more if your current 2 are peaceful. Sometimes, and in my experience, if you don't all the entire school at once, trying to fill it in later is a recipe for disaster.

Remember, schooling is a guideline, not a rule. ;) except for glass cats. haha.

Ah they are minor red tetra not long finned, i apologize. Ive had my tank set up since September and been leaving the lights on 8 hours a day since i have live plants. My tank is near a window but i have blocked the window with shades and blankets so no sun shines on it.

Okay, well I assume you're not running CO2? =] Also, maybe try having your lights on 6 hrs a day instead of 8? Also, are you doing regular gravel vacs? That will all help keep down on algae.

Right, no CO2! And I've been using that much to keep my swords alive cause i just got em and don't want em to die cause i have to keep the lights off:( also someone told me to leave em on then off then on again cause something about messing up the algae or keep it from spreading? if that makes sense? haha sorry if i confuse any of yall

Right, no CO2! And I've been using that much to keep my swords alive cause i just got em and don't want em to die cause i have to keep the lights off:( also someone told me to leave em on then off then on again cause something about messing up the algae or keep it from spreading? if that makes sense? haha sorry if i confuse any of yall

Ohhhh, yeah you'll want to keep the lights on if you've got swords... I'm not sure about what that person meant... maybe if you have a good algae population you could invest in a couple of algae eaters, like a clown pleco or some otos, or a hillstream loach.

Yeah I've been leaving em on 8 hours a day if that's okay? And I still have like that fuzzy hair algae on the gravel but the good thing is that my tank is clearing up:)

Yeah I've been leaving em on 8 hours a day if that's okay? And I still have like that fuzzy hair algae on the gravel but the good thing is that my tank is clearing up:)

If that's as much as your swords need, then that sounds good! I'm glad your tank is clearing up!

Thank you:) and me too cause all this work was a pain.. and question, I know gold ribbon plants are non aquatic plants but I have some in there and they are doing just fine and have not died or even rotted. Is it okay if I keep em in there?

Thank you:) and me too cause all this work was a pain.. and question, I know gold ribbon plants are non aquatic plants but I have some in there and they are doing just fine and have not died or even rotted. Is it okay if I keep em in there?

If you mean will it harm your tank, then no not really. But don't get used to them not dying. We had a white arrowhead that did okay for a while, but then, like predicted, started to rot. The plant will really thrive a lot better in the air, and if you don't, it will definitely rot and foul the tank eventually. But it wont' be poisonous or anything, so it's your choice whether to keep it in or not.

Okay just wondering cause I've had em in there for like a month and they're doing fine and actually growing. Know any plants that grow well and fast?

Back
Top Bottom