Need help please! --- Green hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure, I've only used API root tabs, but I'm sure they'll be fine!

Which would you recommend, seachem or API tabs? And I have one tab left so ima need to get more:[ gah and any plants or materials would you recommend?:)

To be honest, I'm really not so much of an expert... I just know I like the plants I have. I really like melon swords, anacharis (grows like a week), moneywort, ludwigia, four-leaf clover, Val spiralis, sagittaria subulata... you could probably do a lot of those... I think the API tabs are good, but I don't know much about seachem. =]

From looking at your tank though, it looks like you might need more gravel.

Well you've been helping me a lot so far:) and hmm hopefully PETCO will have some.. and is Java fern an aquatic plant? I was looking into getting some and as for the gravel, I was thinking the same thing but don't know how to add extra gavel in the tank with everything already placed x(

Since I've helped you, hate to advertise, but would you mind clicking the little scales under my name and adding to my rep? =D

Java fern is an aquatic plant, yeah. I would place the extra gravel by hand fuls or dump it all in the middle and then spread it around with your hands.

Haha okay:) and I suppose I should wash the new gravel in tank water, am I right?

thank you! =D You don't actually have to wash it in tank water, you can just wash it in normal water. Just rinse it until the water comes off clear.

okay:) just saying so some good bacteria could get in the new gravel. can i keep my anubias plant floating or does it have to be tied down? and what kind of driftwood would be good?

Well, most of the bacteria you have lives in the filter and the substrate, not the water, so using tank water won't help THAT much. But I guess it could be better than nothing, so go for it if you want. And I THINK that anubias likes to put its roots down. Also, if you want driftwood, anubias would actually be a good plant to put into the driftwood (you can tie it in with fish line until the roots take).

As for what kind of driftwood, if any are being sold at your LFS that'll probably work. there are also sites online that sell driftwood. If you find some yourself you should make sure to boil it so any nasties come off.

Thedriftwoodstore.com sells some cool pieces.

Well I kinda don't wanna order online cause I'm pretty impatient haha but I will look into it. And where I live, I don't have an all fish store, just your local petsmart and petco. And as for my pleco fish dude,I have algae wafers for him that sink to the bottom but the other fishies eat it and he seems not interested:[

Hmm, that's too bad that all you have are those chains... What kind of pleco do you have? If you have real algae you shouldn't have to feed algae wafers, haha. He's probably eating the real algae and is already full.

Aha that's What I was thinking, I was kinda worried cause he just stayed in one spot and thought he was dead ha but yeah my tank has cleared up:) but still have the fuzzy algae stuff..

Yeah and thank you So much for you help!:) I learned a lot:]

Back
Top Bottom