Need Some Help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just don't listen to the LFS people. Yes, you should do water changes. It's better to have around 0 nitrites than .5 in my opinion because those nitrites will at least by partially replaced fairly quickly.

How often should I do them? Only when the nitrites and nitrates go up?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You should do a water change (and this is just my opinion, but it goes along with most members' opinions) whenever ammonia or nitrite get around .5 ppm, or when nitrate gets over 30 ppm. That is just for hardy fish. Some are different, and more fragile, but most will do fine in that range.

Ok thank you very much :) ill do another water test now and then more than likely do a water change. Only about a 25% change correct?

yjadujys.jpg
just a small update. I did a 20% water change and reduced the nitrite level. Water is still stagnant with bloom.

That is quite a bloom! I still think it's a good sign, although I do think it's weird that it has been going on for a week now. But it absolutely looks like a bloom to me.

It could possibly be because I added another filter to the tank, but I did add my old media to the new filter. Im patiently waiting. No fish have been lost either so thats probably also a good sign lol. I actually took about 6 fish out and put them in my 10 gallon, mostly for company because as I was about to take down my 10 gal. I opened the hood to take the rock cave out and a baby guppy came out of nowhere. The poor little thing had been in there for days with no food, no filtration and no heat. So I started the tank back up, added some female guppy friends and am waiting for it to get a bit bigger. I cant put this guy in the big tank, he'll get eaten and he's a little BA.

Nitrite and ammonia levels spiked. Guess its time for another water change. Thank goodness for ammo-lock and ammonia removers.

I don't know if I would consider it a bad thing. The fish are happy and show no signs of stress. :) its actually cleared up a little bit, and I mean a LITTLE, lol.

I just rinsed out the sponge on my filter and it was full of brown nasty gunk from the substrate. I think that may have gotten in the way of the filtration.

I have a couple of questions and a couple of suggestions.

What test kit are you using?
What are you using to rinse your filters?

I would use seachem's prime instead of ammo lock as prime detoxifies ammonia nitrite and nitrate as well as dechlorinates tap water.

Bacteria blooms also reduce oxygen levels but your fish seem ok so just keep your eye on that.

I didn't rinse anything but the sponges so the other media still has bacteria. I just used warm water to get that substrate off. Where can I get prime? Yes the fish seem to be doing just fine :)
Yes LucidSardine Ill send it in the mail :)

I get Prime pretty cheap from Amazon, where I have Prime (see what I did there?)

Anyway, just following along. Things are looking good to me!

Lol thank you :D im just logging in everything thats happening for future references.

Back
Top Bottom