Need Some Help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't rinse anything but the sponges so the other media still has bacteria. I just used warm water to get that substrate off. Where can I get prime? Yes the fish seem to be doing just fine :)
Yes LucidSardine Ill send it in the mail :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You used warm water on the sponges?? Was the water treated to remove chlorine and chloromine?? If not any beneficial bacteria on those sponges was destroyed. The filter sponges also carry a lot of bacteria once the tank is cycled. Only ever wash anything to do with your filter IN OLD TANK WATER!! From a water change maybe. SO SO IMPORTANT

Will do :) yes rinsed with tank water.
jehade4u.jpg
this is what it looks like right now. Starting to improve I think.

ba6uneda.jpg

Yay!!!! Its 99.9% of the way there! Parameters are great, fish are doing wonderful, ugh im so relieved. Prime is the most amazing product ever, thanks guys for all your help :D

4ada8avu.jpg

I had a nitrite and nitrate spike last night. :( just when I thought it was almost over. I did a 35% water change and added prime. The parameters look like this after the water change. I also lost a Cory cat and a barb last night to this spike :(

I know! I dont know what happened! This is depressing, im trying to handle this best I can. I guess all I can do now are water changes and try to drop the nitrite. The nitrates dropped a bit but not by much.

The only way to get nitrates down is water changes (and to some extent live plants). You might need to be a big water change just to get things healthy again and watch it from there. Bummer about the trouble. Hopefully it will soon all be a bad memory ;)

I sure hope so. I do have some live plants in the tank. Maybe Saturday if nothing has changed ill do a 50% change and see if it helps.

to be honest, with how your test results are (them being after the water change) you might want to do one sooner. Second opinion anyone?

Unfortunately I have to work at 6 am and I wont be home til around 7pm. So tomorrow would be the soonest I could do it.

Ok im home, and I came home to two dead fish. Eating really quick then jumping on a big water Change.

Right now my nitrite levels are over 5ppm but my nitrates lowered down to 40ppm. Not much better but a little. Looks like ill be doing another water change here in about 10 minutes.

I'm not usually in favor of salting, but in your case it may be a good additional protective measure. Aquarium salt will help your fish avoid some nitrite damage while you go through the cycle.

Ive actually been adding a teaspoon a gallon to try and coax it down.

Ok I just did a water change and now my fish are dying! I just lost 2 cardinals and a tiger barb! In like a minute flat, I cant do anything either, I have to go to work.

Back
Top Bottom