Need Some Help...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Double check your equipment. Has anything been in contact with chemical substances? The bucket you fill water with? Dish soap counts. Your hands? (lotion, soap)

Are you keeping the temperature or the water you add about the same as what's in the tank?

This is so odd! Do they have any signs of disease??

Everything has been checked. Nothing has contaminated the tank at all. I didn't even put my hands in the water. I only use that bucket for water changes and nothing else. Ugh so I just got home and get this, I lost 3 more tiger barbs and my angel has vanished. Seriously its not there, so confused. Anyway everything in the tank is SUPER stressed right now and I cant even begin to think of a way to de-stress them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think these deaths are a result of the fish being kept in water with extremely high nitrite levels. Nitrite effects the ability of blood to carry o2 in fish. So your fish simply cannot get the o2 they need to survive. This can lead to sudden deaths. It also destroys the immune system of a fish. Leaves them open to ich and fin rot. This is a slower death. How are your ammonia and nitrite levels now?

I'm so sorry this is happening.

My guess is that the bacteria from the old filter dried out or otherwise didn't make the transition, and you've clearly been cycling anew.

I hope you don't give up if you lose your fish. If that happens, then you can cycle fishless, which would probably complete pretty quickly since you are already halfway there.

Is there anyone you would be willing to give your fish to so that you can finish the cycle fishlessly? It would be much easier for your stress levels

Thanks everyone, im going to try and put some more fish in my 10 gallon for the time being, but it already has 2 cichlids, 3 tetras, and a platy in there. Im not giving up, I know this is something that happens and it was my fault for putting fish in too early.

Thanks everyone, im going to try and put some more fish in my 10 gallon for the time being, but it already has 2 cichlids, 3 tetras, and a platy in there. Im not giving up, I know this is something that happens and it was my fault for putting fish in too early.

I dont think the 10g is a good size for those fish as it is

No fish have died overnight thank goodness. Gonna check the water parameters again. I really wish someone could take my fish for a while but nobody I know has a tank. Everyone seems to be a little less stressed though.

Omg you guys...idk what happened but look! I think that huge water change finally did it! Its sad I lost fish in the process and I honestly think it was a temperature issue. But holy cow am I excited! Ph is perfect, 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, 5ppm nitrates. I know you kinda can't read it well in the photo but on my side that ammonia is yellow.
8amyruta.jpg

Much better results. In my opinion i see a bit of ammonia and a bit or nitrite in those readings but they are much better now. Be sure to test your water daily until your tank shows signs of being cycled

The ammonia looks green in the picture because the stone on the table is green so it looks different. I should have taken the picture on a white surface.

That still looks like a tad of nitrite, like it looks periwinkle blue instead of teal. It looks much lower though.

Hmmm...ill check it again later. Even still, im just happy it's not violet anymore :D

Really hope this is of some use to you

Ok I just did a water change and now my fish are dying! I just lost 2 cardinals and a tiger barb! In like a minute flat, I cant do anything either, I have to go to work.

Cardinal tetra death, PH, I think these fish are acidophiles,5.5-6.8(maybe less) this may be the cause of there death. (Temp req, 26-28C) these fish will tolerate the upper limit of tiger barbs but only just.

Tiger barb, this may be caused by a temperature that is too great, they will tolerate the current pH of your system. (Temp req 18-24C)

This may help to explain a little as to why?
Alongside the cycling issues you are currently experiencing, salt (I assume MgSo4) can have an effect on the pH and hardness of your water. Test the tap water after 24hrs compare to your tank. A difference of more than 0.3 can cause death in some species.

Hope your tank clears up soon!

Edit (48) picture here suggest PH 7.6, perhaps a high range test may be beneficial here. (May just be the pic) the previous test looks more like neutral (7) that's a big jump. Again may be the green sideboard thing?

Honestly I had no problems with the fish and Ph. They all were very well adjusted and handled it like champs. But the temp changed when I did the water change and thats when I had the problem. I only lost one cardinal out of the 8 I had.

Honestly I had no problems with the fish and Ph. They all were very well adjusted and handled it like champs. But the temp changed when I did the water change and thats when I had the problem. I only lost one cardinal out of the 8 I had.

Ammonia can be hard to distinguish with the test kit. I test some bottles water so I know what colour I'm aiming for.

Just in case you are unsure.

Back
Top Bottom